PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I got an email from Paypal today. After 17 years, they discovered I sell pipes (and more recently tobacco), and gave me seven days to comply with their legal requirements and $500 merchant gateway fee, and I won't be able to. Pipes are now considered "tobacco products", and even if I take down my tobacco tin page, they still won't support the pipe side of things.

There is no other gateway merchant that supports this specific industry without going through the legal hoops. I've looked into WorldPay, Sage, TransferWise, Skrill, and a dozen others. This is just a hobby for me, and it's not worth the expense to legally set myself up to sell at a hobby level.

With no way to accept payments, I'm fearful this is the end of the road for my pipe making and consignment tin hobby. I would happy hear your thoughts if you have any ideas of how I can continue on.

-Paul Hubartt from Larrysson Pipes

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
I would opt for direct depoit into a business account
Yeah. Should be like here. any bank will open a business account and integrate payments. I owned a cleaning company and had chase bank. they gave me a handheld payment machine and access to an online interface for credit cards.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
There is a Shopify discussion titled "Am I allowed to sell tobacco products?" from 2017 that may be of interest since it is exactly about this topic; there are recent updates to it from July 2020 because others are having the problem as other payment gateways have changed their policies. You may want to watch the discussion for updates, but the better option may be to start looking for a new platform and payment portal although this issue for tobacco may become more and more commonplace. Ideally, you will probably need to setup an independent site with direct payment options (e.g. credit card, funds transfer) without using a third party payments processor.

Reactions: tozert

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I foresee the global financial system tightening in the future. Many think that cryptocurrency will be the answer, although I fear that by the time it gets really successful with regular folks, that will just bring down the hammer on it. Crypto will work now, but it’s fiddly and beyond many people.

I don’t see any easy way to get around financial system or government moralizing. Let us know if you find anything.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
This is just a hobby for me, and it's not worth the expense to legally set myself up to sell at a hobby level.
You've already discovered the answer to your situation. Maybe it's time to consider operating your "hobby" in the clear. Get a business license, keep records, pay taxes, and etc. so you can pay for your "hobby" as a vendor of tobacco and pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.