PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
The other thing is the ambiguity over what "they consider misinformation", the "where" of it being opinionated, as well as how they plan on collecting if you don't have that in your PayPal since they are linked to at least one financial institution (just to have an account).

I saw a great fact check the other day, that said "false" and the meme was covered, it was a picture of regan and one of his quotes, the reason it was hidden and labeled as false was "there was no proof this was said about democrats", no where in the posters post were democrats or anything else mentioned, it was literally just a post of that quote, yet it was false and the "fact checkers" added a reason they labeled it censored it that had nothing at all to do with the post and that is nothing but censorship, can PayPal say you posted misinformation in that case and fine you?

Also i read that now they are saying if you do it 10 times, but still they are the ones that take it upon themselves to determine that is misinformation and if you look at the "online fact checking" track record across the board it's pretty piss poor.

The other thing is the ambiguity over what "they consider misinformation", the "where" of it being opinionated, as well as how they plan on collecting if you don't have that in your PayPal since they are linked to at least one financial institution (just to have an account).

I saw a great fact check the other day, that said "false" and the meme was covered, it was a picture of regan and one of his quotes, the reason it was hidden and labeled as false was "there was no proof this was said about democrats", no where in the posters post were democrats or anything else mentioned, it was literally just a post of that quote, yet it was false and the "fact checkers" added a reason they labeled it censored it that had nothing at all to do with the post and that is nothing but censorship, can PayPal say you posted misinformation in that case and fine you?

Also i read that now they are saying if you do it 10 times, but still they are the ones that take it upon themselves to determine that is misinformation and if you look at the "online fact checking" track record across the board it's pretty piss poor.
I’m confused as to how this relates to PayPal.

Wether or not a post like that can be, as an example, labeled misinformation and a black mark by PayPal. Sorry if it was confusing, just giving a real world example and wondering how that would be accounted for by pp.
I just have no idea what sort of misinformation nor what platform would affect PayPal in any way. I mean, what would someone posting on a social media have to do with PayPal, plus how would Paypal know what someone is doing on social media... I am pretty sure by misinformation PayPal is talking about scam and frauds that would involve their platform. Like, "send $20 to email@email.com to save the kittens," or some other such thing.

Reactions: seanv

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In the news these days, the rapper Ye (formerly Kayne West) has not only lost Kim Kardashian (perhaps the most famous thing he was famous for) is being cancelled right and left for his right to free speech.

No man has the right to be married to a Kardashian or get paid millions for selling products.

But he ought to have the right to his money.

Otherwise, we are all at risk.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I just have no idea what sort of misinformation nor what platform would affect PayPal in any way. I mean, what would someone posting on a social media have to do with PayPal, plus how would Paypal know what someone is doing on social media... I am pretty sure by misinformation PayPal is talking about scam and frauds that would involve their platform. Like, "send $20 to email@email.com to save the kittens," or some other such thing.
Well i guess that’s part of the bigger problem is they don’t actually, or haven’t spelled that out yet. It’s a big ol generic clause. So yes it would be nice to know what exactly they mean AND where they choose to monitor, i mean it can’t be platforms they have nothing to do with, you’d hope lol.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
is being cancelled right and left for his right to free speech.
If I worked for a group of Polar Bears, and I walked into their offices and started ranting about how Polar Bears should not have rights and that Polar Bears are evil... I should expect those Polar Bears to fire my ass.

For a lawyer, you have a strange way of looking at the right to free speech.
And, obviously Kanye is struggling with some mental health issues, which is really sad.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If I worked for a group of Polar Bears, and I walked into their offices and started ranting about how Polar Bears should not have rights and that Polar Bears are evil... I should expect those Polar Bears to fire my ass.

For a lawyer, you have a strange way of looking at the right to free speech.
And, obviously Kanye is struggling with some mental health issues, which is really sad.
What Ye is saying I’ve heard old men say in barbershops for fifty years.

I’ve heard lots worse racial and religious slurs.

Ye gets his endorsement contracts cancelled, he deserved it.

PayPal cancelling him is entirely, completely another issue.

You have a right to be a racist bigot.

Or God help us all.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Forgot to add there are always laws that demands banks to do a duedilligence investigation before opening any account. We have a case in court where a COVID measure protest group is canceled by the bank, the bank is fearing they are sponsoring "terrorism" and will get a fine by the authorities. Sure there were some vague transactions, but the term "terrorism" is broadening to have different opinion which is scary.
Interesting ! In the US ... a friend of mine had his business account cancelled by the bank for suspicious activity (cash transactions) ... they even reported him to the IRS ...which sent two undercover agents to watch his business for three hours ... after the agents put in their time ...they walked into his "business" and explained to him who they were and why they were there ... they were dumbfounded and then asked him "Does your bank know you own a busy gas station ???" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In the news these days, the rapper Ye (formerly Kayne West) has not only lost Kim Kardashian (perhaps the most famous thing he was famous for) is being cancelled right and left for his right to free speech.

No man has the right to be married to a Kardashian or get paid millions for selling products.

But he ought to have the right to his money.

Otherwise, we are all at risk.
No sympathy here. He's mentally Ill, being bi-polar, but that's not an excuse. His racist anti semitic rants he can shove where the sun don't shine. A bigot is a bigot and that's the lowest of the low. No right is absolute and all can be abused.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
No sympathy here. He's mentally Ill, being bi-polar, but that's not an excuse. His racist anti semitic rants he can shove where the sun don't shine. A bigot is a bigot and that's the lowest of the low. No right is absolute and all can be abused.
The right to free speech isn’t worth a thing unless the speaker can say things that make the government’s blood boil.

In a cash society there were no private monetary reprisals for free speech.

But today we use plastic money, even digital money.

Banks and PayPal cannot be allowed to confiscate even a bigot like Ye’s money.

Or we simply don’t have a free society.

It’s over.

It’s irony, but for generations the South used private action as the justification to deny persons of color the right to eat at lunch counters.

A vendor of public accommodations ought to serve all the public, period, end of discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kobold
The right to free speech isn’t worth a thing unless the speaker can say things that make the government’s blood boil.

It’s over.
I just read the Forbes report on this, because 1) I was not aware the he wanted to call "Ye" and 2) I knew nothing of the PayPal stuff and Ye. But, according to Forbes, PayPal was not publicly reporting why his account was suspended. So, saying that it is in response to his hate speech is just an assumption. For all we know, he was sending money to scammer call centers in Jamaica.

Honestly, I am not sure I have ever heard one of his songs, nor am I about to go looking for one to listen to. Feel free to offer your legal services to this guy if you want.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I just read the Forbes report on this, because 1) I was not aware the he wanted to call "Ye" and 2) I knew nothing of the PayPal stuff and Ye. But, according to Forbes, PayPal was not publicly reporting why his account was suspended. So, saying that it is in response to his hate speech is just an assumption. For all we know, he was sending money to scammer call centers in Jamaica.

Honestly, I am not sure I have ever heard one of his songs, nor am I about to go looking for one to listen to. Feel free to offer your legal services to this guy if you want.
Like Greg Allman years ago, (married Cher) the rest of us wouldn’t know Ye except for Kim Kardashian.

PayPal should not facilitate Nigerian scammers, but this wasn’t the case.

As a Campbellite (we don’t even ask for tithes, have no missions, and believe in only public schools and complete church and state separation) my personal revulsion against holy roller evangelicals knows no bounds,,,,except——

Those white Christian nationalist holy rollers should have the absolute right to use banks and PayPal.

Once you start allowing private censorship by means of fines and confiscations for speech, there’s no limit.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Okie dokie... and, although PayPal has not stated that this is the reason, if you can assume that, I am free to assume that it is not Ye's racism that got his accts closed... but... because he is black. That would be ok with you, right?
It’s flat out illegal to deny Ye his money because of his race.

Not to mention as morally wrong as his antisemitism.

We Cambellites get called every vile name in the book growing up, by evangelicals.

But unless our enemies have all the civil liberties we enjoy, we won’t have ours long.

Reactions: fireground_piper

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I could never be a lawyer. I can't even imagine having absolutely no morals and defending the people that you do. But, I guess, like garbage men and rat-catchers, someone has to do it.
But, as I said earlier... we have no idea why PayPal has done what it has done. And, they even deny the misinformation act. No, PayPal Did Not Resurrect Its ‘Misinformation’ Penalty - Decrypt - https://decrypt.co/113039/paypal-misinformation-policy

News can be spun in ways to misinform us as well.
When I see some advertisements for “certified psychics” or “natural healing supplements” or a televangelist I want to puke.

I know all those things are scams, devised by people who wear suits and ties like me to cheat poor, ignorant people of their money.

But if it’s not flat out illegal, like the Nigerian scammers, let them use PayPal.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

It’s over.

It’s irony, but for generations the South used private action as the justification to deny persons of color the right to eat at lunch counters.

A vendor of public accommodations ought to serve all the public, period, end of discussion.
Let's look at this in a reality based way. Not often done in these days of magical thinking influenced demagoguery, but I'll give it a whirl.

Nobody has impinged on Ye's right to say whatever comes out of his vile demented head.

Rather, others have used their right to freedom of expression to show their opposition to Ye's odious statements. They have exercised their right not to help Ye in pursuit of his racist horse shit. Every endorsement contract that a celebrity signs has language in it regarding their behavior and allows his employer to fire him/her/whatever for violating the terms of conduct and they exercised it. That's their right to exercise their freedom of expression. That's their exercise to their right of free speech.

Kim Kardashian exercised her right to freedom of speech by denying Ye further access to her botoxed cooch.

If PayPal dumped his filthy ass, it's their right as they are a private company, not a public service.

If I don't like something a company does, I'll exercise my freedom of speech by not giving it business. BTW, money is speech and reprisals are constant.

You don't have the right to yell, "fire" in a crowded theater.

The only place where any sort of freedom is an absolute is when there is one and only one entity. Add another and another and freedoms are circumscribed by the boundaries set by others in expressing their freedom.

That much should be obvious, but apparently isn't.

Banks cannot legally confiscate anyone's money without just cause, such as it being the product of criminal activity.

If money is being held there is probable cause, and if there isn't probable cause, the money will be released. My former wife, who help establish and codify much of the law surrounding online transactions, once seized the US based accounts of a South American country because they had seized $24,000,000 they weren't entitled to because of an error in a bank wire. The amount seize by my ex was an order of magnitude more than the that country was attempting to steal. All sides returned the money. Sorry Counselor, but I know a bit about how this actually works

We've never had a free society, never, except in the words of disinformationists. If there ever was one, it was likely amongst Neanderthals.

Our society was founded on class privilege and slavery. Up till about 100 years ago, women couldn't vote and were completely unrepresented. Women aren't even mentioned in the Constitution.

What never was can't be over. You have rights and so do others, so no right is absolute. You can say what you want and others can express their speech about what you say, in any number of ways.

It may be annoying, but it's better than tyranny, which is what so many shouting "freedom" are actually selling, upon closer inspection.