Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
This appeals to my rather offbeat sense of justice:

http://sixlog.net/tag/smoking-ban/

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
...is frequented by a slightly rougher clientele: mostly members of the local Hell’s Angels
The government smoking cop probably should have taken a more polite approach. Not that I would ever condone or do anything mean to a government pencil neck telling me what to do, but I can see how it might have ended up where it did.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Well, I can't speak for the HA specifically, but in general, bikers are used to getting hassled by the cops for one reason and another and are most often surprisingly cooperative, just because it is easier to go along to get along and let the cops begone. Now get a large group together, get some beers in them and have some government employee act disrespectful and compromising of their authority in their perceived territory and you can get a negative reaction.
Also, I'll have to point out that the article said the bar was "frequented" by some HA and did not implicate them specifically. It's easy to hang that sort of thing on a 1% club because of public image, but such is not necessarily the truth. I think the author was getting at there being a "tougher" crowd in the evening.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
A bit harsh but if it would end up putting an end to the ban than I might support it.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Side note: This happened in early June actually... and even though it appears the "local Hell's Angels" visit the place, it looks like it was just local clientele that threw the guy out.
Four things you don't mess with in Belgium: Union pension plans, food, beer and smoking. ;-)
Lots of small town places that I know of completely disregard the smoking ban. In larger cities it's enforced but in a small town like this, where there's usually one or two bars, nobody cares. You complain, you'll actually get thrown out.... gotta love it :rofl:
My buddies pub / bar where I spent too many hours (and too much money). I used to be able to walk in and before I made it to the bar, my beer would be sitting there... sweet memories ;-)
1.jpg

2.jpg

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Sounds like a story that would have taken place in the US before independence from England. English tax collectors were treated that way.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Hmmm. I'm torn.
I feel for the guy... but the rough crowd makes a valid point. :rofl:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Back when I worked in a bar there was a TABC (State Liquor Authority) who was just a complete bastard. TABC literally has carte blanche to shut down your bar if you piss the agent off and then you are the one stuck going to every governmental body in the nation to try and get your license to operate back. The problem was the guy had the worst Napoloeon complex in history and would try and provoke anyone who was taller than him whenever he was inspecting a bar. This was just about everyone, because the guy was maybe 5'3". My boss understood the way I typically handle provocation (which made me a good bouncer, but would not help his chances with this guy) and whenever he got wind (often a call from another area bar) that the guy was coming, he'd shuffle all of us (except one bar girl who was only 5 feet tall)out of the bar until he was gone. He probably wouldn't fare too well in Belgium.

Status
Not open for further replies.