PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I found what I'm quite sure is a patent era Peterson pipe on the Swedish equivalent of e-bay, only thing is it's missing the stem. I'm considering buying it but thought I'd ask you how you would go about replacing the stem before I start bidding. It looks like it'll go for pretty cheap, but then again it could escalate in price. Currently one other bidder, 3 and a half days left, highest (only) bid is $2.
The silver hallmark is from 1917 according to this list and the pipe has the forked P and no country of manufacture, so I'm pretty sure it's patent era. :)
Has what looks like a pretty big fill but is said to be and looks to be in really good shape apart from the missing stem.
122492924_1.jpg

122492924_2.jpg

So, what do you experts have to say? :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
With out a photo perspective showing the draft hole in the shank; I'm guessing that it's a "military" bit. Should be no problem having it replaced by Peterson. The bent may also be a "military bit.

Note: Military bit refers to a Peterson bit system that allowed British soldiers to disassemble their pipes when hot and put them in their pockets. The stem won't become loose over time.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I agree with what Lawrence said above. Peterson will do replacement stems for a fair price from what I've heard from other smokers. So, that way you'll get a Peterson stem and be able to keep some of the value in such a pipe that old.
It does look like it's in great condition without seeing the bowl and draft hole and the silver work is easy to polish up.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Oh, Peterson does them themselves? That's even better! Guess there was no need to worry :D Looking at their FAQ replacement stems seem to cost 22.50 euro, so it's not exactly cheap, but not really unexpected. Do they just grab a stem from one of their current lines and make it fit? It would be cool if they knew what kind of stem was on it originally, keeping it as close to how it used to look as possible (I like that kind of thing :)), but I guess that could be too much to ask for a pipe as old as that. x)
The description said that the pipe had "no tobacco residue" in the bowl while it says that the other (bent) is well-used. I'm not sure if that means it's unsmoked or just lightly smoked and properly reamed and cleaned, but either way it sounds like there won't be a lot of work involved getting it ready to smoke. :) Been missing an ordinary straight like that in my rotation, and getting one with a nice grain like that that also happens to be an old Peterson in good condition is a nice bonus. Also, it'll actually (hopefully) be my first estate pipe, so it's extra exciting. xD
I just noticed though, the 3 means it's a low-grade pipe (lowest?), but they still fitted it with a silver mount? They used silver in all their metalwork back then, regardless of grade?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
There are some Peterson experts here but I wonder how a #3 grade nearly 100 years ago compares to today's pipes. Looks like a real nice piece. You may want to ask Peterson how much it would cost for a full restoration. Considering the age and grain it may be worthwhile to have it done. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.