PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
Now i've gotta go give that Marty Pulvers episode a relisten!! I love all of the Mike and Mary Mcneil interviews, and the Fred Hanna episodes are always a blast to listen to. Rich Esserman is another fantastic repeat guest, and of course, Jon D. Cole

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Now i've gotta go give that Marty Pulvers episode a relisten!! I love all of the Mike and Mary Mcneil interviews, and the Fred Hanna episodes are always a blast to listen to. Rich Esserman is another fantastic repeat guest, and of course, Jon D. Cole
Yeah the Rich Esserman ones are some of my favorites as well

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for the info, George. What's the current size of the KC club? And any chance someone there would resurrect the KC show?

Also, I think @brianlevine and @daveinlax should resurrect the 7-day set for the LVIPS.

I don't know the membership numbers for the current version of the KC club.

I forgot to mention before that back in the day, the club's downloadable bi-monthly PDF newsletter was 30-40 pages long, included lots of color photos, professionally written stories, etc. It was easily a match for the best hardcopy pipe magazines of the pre-internet era. Who put it together? Singlehandedly? For zero compensation (except satisfaction)? This board's kcghost.

As for resurrecting the carving contest, good luck. ;) It required 40-60 hours of labor to make happen: Receiving 50+ physical packages, opening, cataloging, etc. all of them; then having a large enough room with enough table space to show them all side-by-side simultaneously for in-hand examination, then the actual judging, followed by photographing all of them (the winners from all angles). Then afterward, re-boxing and and shipping all non-winners back to their owners (some in foreign countries), in addition to packaging and shipping the winning 7-day set and its custom stand to the winning lottery ticket holder. (Keeping track of which was another non-trivial affair)

I've heard that both Brian and Dave are always looking for ways to add to their workload, though. :)

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I don't know the membership numbers for the current version of the KC club.

I forgot to mention before that back in the day, the club's downloadable bi-monthly PDF newsletter was 30-40 pages long, included lots of color photos, professionally written stories, etc. It was easily a match for the best hardcopy pipe magazines of the pre-internet era. Who put it together? Singlehandedly? For zero compensation (except satisfaction)? This board's kcghost.

As for resurrecting the carving contest, good luck. ;) It required 40-60 hours of labor to make happen: Receiving 50+ physical packages, opening, cataloging, etc. all of them; then having a large enough room with enough table space to show them all side-by-side simultaneously for in-hand examination, then the actual judging, followed by photographing all of them (the winners from all angles). Then afterward, re-boxing and and shipping all non-winners back to their owners (some in foreign countries), in addition to packaging and shipping the winning 7-day set and its custom stand to the winning lottery ticket holder. (Keeping track of which was another non-trivial affair)

I've heard that both Brian and Dave are always looking for ways to add to their workload, though. :)
Yeah, that's a good amount of work... 😳

@kcghost you're a star.

I wonder if it could be adjusted by the submissions only being able to come from those carvers who are present at the show. And maybe they don't send them ahead of time but bring the pipe and submit it in person. Pipes get collected and displayed early in the show, judges deliberate in the middle of the show, and the 7 winners announced at the end.

Reactions: kcghost