PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The word "vulcanite" or "ebonite" is like the word "bread".

How many recipes are there for it? As many as people want to come up with.

Before the Plastic Age, vulcanite was used in all manner of common things, from radios to telephones to writing pens to fishing reels to musical instruments to bowling balls, and every manufacturer of the stuff (undoubtedly) claimed theirs was the best.

As for "grades" today, there is no industry standard upon which to base scores. The guys who work with it just learn what's best for their application from experience.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Got it. (Including included inclusions that refer to potentially inclusionary post-referential references in an inclusificated manner becomes confusing after a while... These here newfangled computer widgets will always find a way to confusify things, eh? )
And this was not my text, it is what the seller of the pipe mailed me rotf
I'm not knowlegdeable when it came to Parker pipes.

Reactions: milk

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
The connection between the tenon and the stem on the Cumberland Dunhill looks messy compared to the Parker and the other Dun. Was the Cumberland Dunhill repaired? It doesn’t seem to have that clean 45 degree angle where the tenon meets the stem.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I mean as opposed to all the grades of vulcanite that are on the market now. Did the Dunhill factory have different grades of vulcanite? From what the experts are saying, it sounds like a 30s or 50s Parkers stem should be similar to a Dunhill one. As my photo shows, it certainly looks the same.
Ah, I see. Cannot really tell, the picture is a little blurry. The tenon looks to be original and ( to me ) looks to have the bevel. But this is my eyesight.

Reactions: milk

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
The connection between the tenon and the stem on the Cumberland Dunhill looks messy compared to the Parker and the other Dun. Was the Cumberland Dunhill repaired? It doesn’t seem to have that clean 45 degree angle where the tenon meets the stem.

Your just seeing a little beeswax

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

Is there a name for that?

I've bought a few lots of 'Dunhill' stems over the years, and probably only 60-70% of them were authentic...maybe even less.

Here's my oldest Parker: 1925 '45'. It has a 'twin bore' stem that I have always assumed was not original.

PCaIYM6.jpg

XVyi3JH.jpg