PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Was on vacation in France doing some WW1 and WW2 tours. One of my only main souvenirs was a new Savinelli Gaius 320 and some tobacco from La Civette right next to the Louvre.
SG Commonwealth

MB Vanilla Loose Cut

Davidoff English Mixture

Davidoff Scottish Mixture

Davidoff Royalty

Davidoff Flake medallions
img_20141023_203940-600x450.jpg

img_20141018_173832-450x600.jpg

img_20141023_204109-449x600.jpg

I overpaid for the pipe, but it has more sentimental value so it was worth it.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Tide (maternal grandpa) was in the trenches in WWI as a signaller. Got gassed, had major PTSD and was messed up for life. Oupa (paternal grandpa) was a medic at Tobruk (WWII). Uncle John (mother's brother) was a bomb aimer/navigator on a Wellington, over France and Africa. Mother was a kid, and just got bombed, in Manchester. Germans tried to hit the Fairey factory down the street, but never got it. The warning siren for possible tornadoes still freaks her out.
Which WWI and II sites did you visit?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Very nice!
Question: Are there French pipe tobaccos?

Certainly, there are French pipes, but I do not recall seeing French tobaccos here in the US

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
2 of my mom's great uncles were at Vimy Ridge and Hill 70 during WW1. One was killed and we visited his grave at St Omer where he is buried.
We did a 3 day WW1 tour and we visited major sites in NW France and Belgium including:

-The Somme and associated memorials

-Ypres including messines ridge, passchendeale, Polygon wood, Tyne cot cemetery, numerous canadian/british/australian memorials

-Last post ceremony at the Menin gate

-Vimy ridge and Arras
WW2 my parents did british and canadian beaches (Gold, Sword, and Juno)

My girlfriend and I did a 101st airborne tour including a lot of the sites from Band of Brothers(walked in the field at Brecourt Manor where the 4-105mm guns were) and stopped at Utah beach as well
It was an amazing trip.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I'm not sure if there are or not, I've never seen any tobaccos that I would recognize as being "french" but I do own 3 french pipes(2 Chacoms and a Jeantet)

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Dan - the late great Bob Runowski at Morley's said that the dearth of a French tobacco industry was due to the French government controls it there. No room for capitalism. (Please - no political comments)
hp

les

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Kanada good going on the Sav. Gaius 320. It's a killer pipe, in both looks and performance. I just flat adore the one I have.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I plan on getting another 320 or similar in the near-ish future

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I did indeed. Tobacco ranged from 15-20 euros, even converted to CDN they are still cheaper than most places here. The pipes seem to be another story, take the $ sign and make that euros. Knowing what the pipes cost in the states made it a little harder to put the cash up, but it was also a souvenir so I was willing to pay more than I could get them online for.

Status
Not open for further replies.