PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I make that statement after watching the opening ceremonies of the 2024 Olympics. Yeah, sure the show drug a little (the two know-nothings providing what little commentary they had and Kelly Clarkson). But the buildings you saw were simple breath taking and the incredible number of performers you saw just left me speechless. My god they had thousands of people all performing things from the mundane to the mind blowing. The had this black lady positioned on top of this one magnificent building draped in the French flag and performing two numbers in French (what else, we are in France). She was a mezzo-soprano from the Paris Opera. She performed the La Marseillaise (identical to the one in Casablanca). Holy crap it was fantastic.
How did they do the parade of athletes you ask?? The came down the Seine on river boats and went to the Eiffel tower!! Now this took quite a while because after all there are literally 200 nations participating. They then send a single boat down carrying Rafael Nadal, Carl Lewis. Nadi Comaneci and Venus Williams carrying the Olympic Torch. They got to the Eiffel Tower and immediately turned back and took to torch with them. Then back up the Seine for 10-15 minutes more. When got to the Louvre the boat docked. They immediately gave the torch to a French female athlete. She ran to the Louvre and passed it. She gave the torch to some French guy. This went on for some ten or so different people. Finally, they were literally carrying the torch maybe fifty feet and handing it to someone else. The last guy they gave it to was some 100-year-old guy who just turned and lit two different torches carried by a man and woman. They turned facing a large bowl of something that looked like it was hook up to a giant metal balloon. The put their two torches into the bowl and ignited it. Now you had the Olympic flame, but you kept thinking it was little low. Course it was, because the balloon began to rise up. My god, they had duplicated the Montgolfier brothers original fight in just such a balloon. My goodness, I want to see any city match this.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The know-nothings kept yammering about there being no place to light the torch. Of course, there wasn't but I never expected for the boat to turn around and head upriver. The know-nothings were Mike Turico, Peyton Manning, and Kelly Clarkson. NBC should be ashamed of themselves for not sending at least one person who was fluent in French.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
On my first visit to Paris (years ago) the mademoiselles were so “je ne sai quoi” I fell in love in love at least a dozen times.
And that was before lunch 😁

I didn’t encounter any snootiness. Most were, at the very least, polite.
Perhaps it was because I tried out my excruciatingly poor French everywhere I went.
So bad they inevitably replied in English to spare their ears rotf

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
On my first visit to Paris (years ago) the mademoiselles were so “je ne sai quoi” I fell in love in love at least a dozen times.
And that was before lunch 😁

I didn’t encounter any snootiness. Most were, at the very least, polite.
Perhaps it was because I tried out my excruciatingly poor French everywhere I went.
So bad they inevitably replied in English to spare their ears rotf
I’ve spent a lot of time in France. Granted there are friendlier people in other parts of France but Paris is one of a kind. The art, the food, the women, the women, the women. I haven’t been in 20 years but I’ve heard that mass immigration has really had a bad effect on this great city.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’ve spent a lot of time in France. Granted there are friendlier people in other parts of France but Paris is one of a kind. The art, the food, the women, the women, the women. I haven’t been in 20 years but I’ve heard that mass immigration has really had a bad effect on this great city.

On a train out of Paris and was chatting to a Frenchman who works in Paris but returns to his hometown for the weekend.
His words “Paris IS Paris. But it is NOT France”

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I make that statement after watching the opening ceremonies of the 2024 Olympics. Yeah, sure the show drug a little (the two know-nothings providing what little commentary they had and Kelly Clarkson). But the buildings you saw were simple breath taking and the incredible number of performers you saw just left me speechless. My god they had thousands of people all performing things from the mundane to the mind blowing. The had this black lady positioned on top of this one magnificent building draped in the French flag and performing two numbers in French (what else, we are in France). She was a mezzo-soprano from the Paris Opera. She performed the La Marseillaise (identical to the one in Casablanca). Holy crap it was fantastic.
How did they do the parade of athletes you ask?? The came down the Seine on river boats and went to the Eiffel tower!! Now this took quite a while because after all there are literally 200 nations participating. They then send a single boat down carrying Rafael Nadal, Carl Lewis. Nadi Comaneci and Venus Williams carrying the Olympic Torch. They got to the Eiffel Tower and immediately turned back and took to torch with them. Then back up the Seine for 10-15 minutes more. When got to the Louvre the boat docked. They immediately gave the torch to a French female athlete. She ran to the Louvre and passed it. She gave the torch to some French guy. This went on for some ten or so different people. Finally, they were literally carrying the torch maybe fifty feet and handing it to someone else. The last guy they gave it to was some 100-year-old guy who just turned and lit two different torches carried by a man and woman. They turned facing a large bowl of something that looked like it was hook up to a giant metal balloon. The put their two torches into the bowl and ignited it. Now you had the Olympic flame, but you kept thinking it was little low. Course it was, because the balloon began to rise up. My god, they had duplicated the Montgolfier brothers original fight in just such a balloon. My goodness, I want to see any city match this.
Great job describing the opening ceremonies! I missed them but will watch a replay of them now because of your awesome write up.
I lived in Paris for a couple years when I was in my 20s and In my opinion it was a fabulous place to be- but that was 30 years ago.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Paris is a city filled with dog crap. It also houses the most snooty people that I have met in my travels. The only nice thing I found in Paris was a girl who pressed her breast into my hand on the metro. She gave me a wave after exiting and that is the only good part about Paris for me.

And you never kept your wallet in your back pocket ever again.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Eiffel Tower silhouetted by a sunrise. The Eiffel Tower in Paris
Paris syndrome (パリ症候群, Pari shōkōgun) is a cluster of psychiatric symptoms exhibited by some individuals when visiting Paris, that can be viewed as a severe form of culture shock.[1]
The syndrome is characterized by symptoms such as acute delusional states, hallucinations, feelings of persecution (perceptions of being a victim of prejudice, aggression, hostility from others),[2][irrelevant citation] derealization, depersonalization, anxiety, as well as psychosomatic manifestations such as dizziness, tachycardia, sweating most notably, but also others, such as vomiting.[3][unreliable medical source?]
While the syndrome has been particularly noted among Japanese tourists, perhaps due to the way in which Paris has been idealised in Japanese culture, the syndrome has also affected travellers from other countries such as China and South Korea.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Eiffel Tower silhouetted by a sunrise. The Eiffel Tower in Paris
Paris syndrome (パリ症候群, Pari shōkōgun) is a cluster of psychiatric symptoms exhibited by some individuals when visiting Paris, that can be viewed as a severe form of culture shock.[1]
The syndrome is characterized by symptoms such as acute delusional states, hallucinations, feelings of persecution (perceptions of being a victim of prejudice, aggression, hostility from others),[2][irrelevant citation] derealization, depersonalization, anxiety, as well as psychosomatic manifestations such as dizziness, tachycardia, sweating most notably, but also others, such as vomiting.[3][unreliable medical source?]
While the syndrome has been particularly noted among Japanese tourists, perhaps due to the way in which Paris has been idealised in Japanese culture, the syndrome has also affected travellers from other countries such as China and South Korea.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

I was thinking of this when I read the original post. Haha