PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Am I the only guy here that polishes his smooth pipes with panty hose? I really like the way that it makes the grain look and the smooth feeling they have in the hand.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Hrm, have not heard of this method. I would probably use microfiber. I don't know how many fibers it is per square inch in panty hose, but if microfiber is good enough for my car - it must be good enough for my pipes.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
So dd951, are you admitting that you like the way your panty hose feel in the hand? :lol: kidding!
It makes sense though, they are really smooth and would do a good job polishing up a pipe!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I have a whole box of knee-high pantyhose that we use for a lint trap on the washing machine (I swear!)... I guess I'll have to try it and see if it works better than lint-free cloth I've been using. Thanks for the tip!
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The idea of using nylon stockings to polish pipes is interesting.

My concern would be the abrasive quality of the nylon.

It may be like sanding with an extremely fine sand paper.

Then again.... one way to put an excellent edge on a knife is to finish with grocery bag type paper then high grade printer paper....

I may try it, if it doesn't remove the wax...

Worth a shot none the less.
Thanks for the tip dd.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
You are talking about these...right?
F-BR5004_450JPEG.jpg

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Back in the 70's the last step in a glass-like shoe shine in the Navy was a soft circular rub with a piece of panty hose.
One of the first steps was to light the wax on fire too, so not everything good for shoes would be good for your pipe. :mrgreen:

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
hobie,
was there a panty hose in that picture????? I must have missed it.......

bjeorn

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2010
am now sleeping on the couch, since the gf woke up to me rubbing a stanwell on her ass lol :lol:

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
hobie posted a picture of stockings, not pantyhose.
I am a world class expert on womens' undergarments.
However, being expert about the women that wear them...not so much.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I share the concern about the abrasive quality of the panty

hose. Like most GIs, yes I've used stockings as a quick shine

for dress shoes, but only once until more polish was put on the shoe.

Maybe the same thing applies here and Carnuba should be applied between

use of the stockings..?

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Now you guys have got me worried, I have two pipes that I have really worked on with the panty hose. Both now have really good contrast in the grain and really look good. I have examaned both pipes and I can't tell if I got down to the wood or just really smoothed out the wax. I will say both pipes are very smooth, when you are smoking them your fingers just glide over them, no friction at all. I am going to put paragon on one of them and leave the other as is. What I need from you guys is, on the one I don't wax, what should I look for as time goes on, so I can tell what it is doing. Any advice you can offer will be appreaciated,

Thanks

Jery

Status
Not open for further replies.