PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
after one bowl of some blends I notice it. Cause palate fatigue not just with pipes but anything with a strong flavor starts pretty much right away. It's just really subtle at first, some of the nuances don't jump out, ironically a small amount of palate fatigue helps notices the other nuances of blend. That part of it is just how your brain works and most peoples brains work. The brain likes being efficient and part of that efficiency is not paying so much attention to the way that thing tastes after you've already tasted it. But yeah if I smoke more then a few bowls the palate fatigue becomes infinitely more noticeable.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Regardless do I have 'palate fatigue' or not I must have (note)at least two bowls per day,+ something else to top up,chew or something,there's no other ways, only alternative might be cigars, I guess this is the legacy left from my cigarette days

Reactions: BROBS

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Ice water works best for me, drink wise. Apples are the best palate refreshers I know. I also switch my smokes constantly, and most of the time, I switch genres from smoke to smoke, too. That helps a lot.

Listen to Jim. Near as I can tell from the "What are you smoking now" thread" Jim smokes anywhere from 80 to 300 bowls a day, so if you want to avoid palate fatigue, follow his advice.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Apart from the usual palate enhancers, such as smoking less, alcoholic drinks, exercising, garden work etc., I just took up trying to play trombone again, some months ago, just for my own fun and noticed that after maybe only 20 minutes of blowing the horn, the pipe tastes much better! Not kidding.
I hope to introduce the ‘palate cleaning horn’ for pipe smokers, when patents secured puffyStay tuned!

Oct 7, 2016
Learning to smoke cool, which was tough for an ex cigarette smoker, made this a rare phenomenon for me, even when I was a constant all day everyday pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.