PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Are there any other recommendations for quality, good smoking pipe lines that are painted briar other than Kaywoodie White Briar out there I could be looking for in estate land?
I’m looking for such, because every evening I’ll smoke while tending to the horses, and multiple times a week I’m getting fly spray on my hands doing such. I really don’t think handling my briars and meers like that is a great idea.
IMG_0615.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Are there any other recommendations for quality, good smoking pipe lines that are painted briar other than Kaywoodie White Briar out there I could be looking for in estate land?
I’m looking for such, because every evening I’ll smoke while tending to the horses, and multiple times a week I’m getting fly spray on my hands doing such. I really don’t think handling my briars and meers like that is a great idea.
View attachment 313881

This is all I could find on Smokingpipes.com. There are three available.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Dr. Grabow made plenty of Colored Viscounts and Colored Dukes. Here are mine:
Nice! I’ll have to keep an eye out, the bulldogs are cool, as is the pot in this ad (I’m a sucker for saddle stems).
How big are the chambers? I had a Royal Duke billiard I gifted another member for his collection of blue spades-had way too big a chamber for my tastes. I prefer a .7-.8” size.IMG_0703.jpeg

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Honestly, Id pick up any cheap but decent smoking pipe and use it for that occasion only. Your exposure is higher from using the spray than anything seeping through the material. That said, I understand your goal of not polluting your good pipes. Id grap a cheap estate or two. Two would be nice so you can bring one in and clean it really well while having a backup.

Another option. Grab a cheap estate and shellac it. Maybe you can shellac a cob…Im not sure about that.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Honestly, Id pick up any cheap but decent smoking pipe and use it for that occasion only. Your exposure is higher from using the spray than anything seeping through the material. That said, I understand your goal of not polluting your good pipes. Id grap a cheap estate or two. Two would be nice so you can bring one in and clean it really well while having a backup.

Another option. Grab a cheap estate and shellac it.
Thanks. As I have yet to (and really no inclination to) pay north of a hundred dollars for a pipe, my entire collection would fall into “cheap estates” compared to most members’ pipes. I don’t fret the physical hazards, it’s just that Pyrahna (the product we use) has a very distinct pervasive odor that I don’t want to get into my briar out meer-it’s pervasiveness is similar to say that of diesel fuel. A very distinct and hard to eliminate annoyance.
I hadn’t thought of the shellac (or varnish for that matter) as I stay away from brands that use them, but may seek out a couple for stall duty.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Have you considered THE SMOKE? It’s a phenolic resin pipe (like The Pipe) with a pyrolytic graphite sleeve (sort of like a Meerschaum lined briar, except this is a graphite lined plastic pipe with a nylon stem). You can find them for under twenty bucks on eBay, It has a painted finish and would be easy to clean.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I’d considered getting one in the past, but I do lots of clenching/hands free smoking. For their size they list as relatively heavy.
I have a couple Boneses I clench. In fact, their oom paul has become my go to driving pipe because once it's lit it never has to leave my mouth. And I've never once felt the weight of it.

If that's not the answer for you, maybe check out some baskets from your favorite brick and mortar? A deep bent basket pipe might do it for you. It would have to be a pretty cleap sob who sheds tears over a Capri or HIS, yet they certainly smoke better than their bargain bin prices would have you believe.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
North Dakota, USA
Nice! I’ll have to keep an eye out, the bulldogs are cool, as is the pot in this ad (I’m a sucker for saddle stems).
How big are the chambers? I had a Royal Duke billiard I gifted another member for his collection of blue spades-had way too big a chamber for my tastes. I prefer a .7-.8” size.View attachment 313906

They are pretty standard size chambers, depends on the shape of course.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I have a couple Boneses I clench. In fact, their oom paul has become my go to driving pipe because once it's lit it never has to leave my mouth. And I've never once felt the weight of it.

If that's not the answer for you, maybe check out some baskets from your favorite brick and mortar? A deep bent basket pipe might do it for you. It would have to be a pretty cleap sob who sheds tears over a Capri or HIS, yet they certainly smoke better than their bargain bin prices would have you believe.
Aside from a prewar Brit made Pete 363 I don’t smoke bents. Straight pipes stay out of the way for me better while doing stuff.

Reactions: RookieGuy80