PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
That's a bummer. I like the core line of Padrons a lot, but there's nothing all that exceptional about them. Pretty standard medium-full Nicaraguan flavor profile, just executed well. In my opinion, at least. Were you smoking the regular or maduro version?

The Anniversary and Family Reserve lines might offer more "wow factor" but man, you will pay for it. I wish I could afford to smoke the 1926s more often.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
+1 on aging them a bit.

+1 on the Londres vitola. There’s something about that thin ring gauge and higher ratio of wrapper to filler that really brings out the best of the Padron profile, IMO.

Yes, the more expensive Padron stuff is objectively more interesting, but a few years on the core lines in any size will make them worth way more than the modest asking price.

Based on the tobaccos you seem to enjoy, Salt, I’d suggest checking out the Dunbarton Sobremesa Cervantes Fino (maybe my favorite cigar ever) and the Dunbarton Sin Compromiso Varita Magica.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
+1 on aging them a bit.

+1 on the Londres vitola. There’s something about that thin ring gauge and higher ratio of wrapper to filler that really brings out the best of the Padron profile, IMO.

I can second the above.

I am of course biased, because I have a deep appreciation and respect for Padron cigars, but I believe they are possibly among the highest quality and consistent cigar brands. Neither of which always translate to an enjoyment of their flavor, because there are plenty that don't feel the same as me.

Personally, I have been smoking the Padron core "Thousand series" line for a decade, and I have never purchased a full box, despite loving them. The cigars are great for what they are, that classic Nicaraguan puro, rolled to a high quality and consistency.

There's no issue in not liking that flavor profile, I tire of the typical "Coffee and tobacco Spice," flavor profile so common in cigars and reach for something more "Out there" very commonly.

But that basic core flavor in this series is done very well IMO. I don't think I came to appreciate Padron cigars until I had come across duds in other lines that were heralded to great fanfare only to be unimpressive, to say the least. I used to roll my eyes at those that obsessed over even burning and consistent cigars, but I know now that I was ignorant of the whole concept. Buying poorly rolled Cubans at great expense furthered my appreciation for stuff made by Padron.

I have a couple of their different vitolas in the core line that are 5+ years old and I'll be interested to sample them with even more age. Fondling one recently, it looked and smelled amazing.

But my current cigar journey is pretty simple - Will my next order be a box or Liga Privada T52's or No. 9's?

-Matt

Reactions: shaneireland

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
+1 on aging them a bit.

Yes, the more expensive Padron stuff is objectively more interesting, but a few years on the core lines in any size will make them worth way more than the modest asking price.

Based on the tobaccos you seem to enjoy, Salt, I’d suggest checking out the Dunbarton Sobremesa Cervantes Fino (maybe my favorite cigar ever) and the Dunbarton Sin Compromiso Varita Magica.
I can second the above.

I am of course biased, because I have a deep appreciation and respect for Padron cigars, but I believe they are possibly among the highest quality and consistent cigar brands. Neither of which always translate to an enjoyment of their flavor, because there are plenty that don't feel the same as me.

Personally, I have been smoking the Padron core "Thousand series" line for a decade, and I have never purchased a full box, despite loving them. The cigars are great for what they are, that classic Nicaraguan puro, rolled to a high quality and consistency.

There's no issue in not liking that flavor profile, I tire of the typical "Coffee and tobacco Spice," flavor profile so common in cigars and reach for something more "Out there" very commonly.

But that basic core flavor in this series is done very well IMO. I don't think I came to appreciate Padron cigars until I had come across duds in other lines that were heralded to great fanfare only to be unimpressive, to say the least. I used to roll my eyes at those that obsessed over even burning and consistent cigars, but I know now that I was ignorant of the whole concept. Buying poorly rolled Cubans at great expense furthered my appreciation for stuff made by Padron.

I have a couple of their different vitolas in the core line that are 5+ years old and I'll be interested to sample them with even more age. Fondling one recently, it looked and smelled amazing.

But my current cigar journey is pretty simple - Will my next order be a box or Liga Privada T52's or No. 9's?

-Matt
Shane, thank you for your recommends, but I no longer smoke. I'm still on the forum because it's the next best thing to smoking.

spicy_boiii, thanks for giving me the other side of these cigars. One hopes that his estimations are based on the expertise of his palate, but I think a healthy dose of happenstance and willy-nilly opinion also prevails.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I find the regular Padron line does better in the moderate ring gauges, both fresh and aged. Delicias are my favorite at a 46 ring. Even then, I have never found them more than “pretty good.”

For a reasonably priced med/full every day cigar, these blow everything else out of the water, both in flavor and construction, and would be a good value at twice the price, to my taste of course:

Thanks for the rec’s @shaneireland , added to my wishlist.

Jun 23, 2019
Good to know.

I really enjoy the 1926 line of sticks they have but not so much the Damaso (which I found to be good but slightly 'boring' - monotonous).

Might still end up getting a sampler though...

Reactions: danimalia

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Padron uses the exact, same tobacco for the 2000 as they use for the Anniversarios -- except it is not aged.

So, if you have a humidor, and some time, put up some 2000s and wait a few years. You will have Anniversarios at a fraction of the regular expense.

This is not a theory, it is something I've done and experienced personally.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Padron uses the exact, same tobacco for the 2000 as they use for the Anniversarios -- except it is not aged.

So, if you have a humidor, and some time, put up some 2000s and wait a few years. You will have Anniversarios at a fraction of the regular expense.

I've heard that before but I don't necessarily believe it. The Anniversario line sure seems to be rolled tighter. Flavor wise, I can believe it.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Interesting. I've gotten the same impression from reading the Padron website, but then the 1926 and 1964 lines are so different in profiles, with the 1926 being much harsher with a pronounced bass note. I always figured it's all Padron tobacco, but finer leaves were saved for the Anniversaries/Family Reserve with them being blended differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.