PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I will sometimes pack a pipe in the morning then let it sit a day. Haven’t tried a couple days as I never can wait that long. Call me addicted.
Yeah. We're all addicted. Hahaha. This started happening because the weather got cold, family schedule and commitments got busier, work got busier...meaning I have less time to smoke these days, so sometimes I pack a couple of pipes expecting to be able to smoke them in the morning, but then go days without finding the time to light up. I'm past the nicotine withdrawal now.

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
Yeah. We're all addicted. Hahaha. This started happening because the weather got cold, family schedule and commitments got busier, work got busier...meaning I have less time to smoke these days, so sometimes I pack a couple of pipes expecting to be able to smoke them in the morning, but then go days without finding the time to light up. I'm past the nicotine withdrawal now.
Past the withdrawal? My condolences.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I haven tried this yet, but it sounds like a good way to go for a quick smoke whenever the opportunity arises. In the extremely humid climate I live in there are no worries about the tobacco drying out. I leave tobacco unsealed in my pipe case for weeks and it hasn't dried out yet.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I haven tried this yet, but it sounds like a good way to go for a quick smoke whenever the opportunity arises. In the extremely humid climate I live in there are no worries about the tobacco drying out. I leave tobacco unsealed in my pipe case for weeks and it hasn't dried out yet.
Unless you would leave it in the bowl, unsmoked, for a very long period of time, there are no worries about it drying out. In fact, having it dry out a bit more is a desirable side effect.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I smoked some Fusiliers Ration last night that I packed a couple of days ago and left sitting in the open air in the basement. It's very dry in my house now because it's winter. -20 outside. Forced air heat in the house. The tobacco was well dried in the chamber and the smoke was flavourful and burned perfectly.

I also have some St. James Flake, packed at the same time, waiting in a Sav 701 for the right time.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Sounds a bit like delayed gratification technique. I don't go over one whole day, but I've had good results with VA and VaPers.

I do a charring light and leave it out overnight or a couple of hours. Falcons are great for this, fill multiple bowls, char them and smoke them throughout the day.
Yeah, I tried the delayed gratification technique (DGT) but it didnt work. I lacked the self-discipline to hold out.

BUT there were times when I didnt have enough time to finish a bowl and was forced to set it aside until the next day. Surprisingly, it wasnt that bad. I cant say for sure it was better, but it wasnt bad.

Reactions: NomadOrb

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Yeah, I tried the delayed gratification technique (DGT) but it didnt work. I lacked the self-discipline to hold out.

BUT there were times when I didnt have enough time to finish a bowl and was forced to set it aside until the next day. Surprisingly, it wasnt that bad. I cant say for sure it was better, but it wasnt bad.
There are definitely mixed results. Virginias seem to work best with DGT for me, but I don't do it often, I'm not a patient man.

Reactions: butsiethesungo

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
What's DGT? I mean, I know what DGT is, but aren't you just charring the tobacco before leaving it in the chamber for a while before smoking it? Why is this better than just leaving the tobacco in the chamber for a while before smoking it? Or for that matter, smoking the chamber half way down. then returning to it a day (or a week) later? I do find that charring the top (which probably causes some amount of caramelizing of the sugars in the tobacco, especially with Virginias) sort of congeals the surface, which means the pipe is less likely to leave crumbs in your pocket if you store it away for later without a cap on it. What other imagined benefits ensue from DGT?

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I do a charring light and leave it out overnight or a couple of hours. Falcons are great for this, fill multiple bowls, char them and smoke them throughout the day.
I have a couple extra falcon bowl and would like to try this.. probably not do any charring light though. how do you keep the tobacco in the loose bowls? saran wrap or is it just not a problem?

Reactions: NomadOrb

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I have a couple extra falcon bowl and would like to try this.. probably not do any charring light though. how do you keep the tobacco in the loose bowls? saran wrap or is it just not a problem?
Like @Winnipeger said, wind caps or roll a pipe cleaner on top of the tobacco. I'll take a picture next time I do it.

• Love
Reactions: Winnipeger