PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I've been packing a few pipes at a time lately, and leaving them in my jacket pocket or in the car so I can smoke them whenever the opportunity strikes, so to speak. I've had great smokes after the tobacco has been setting in the chamber for several days, like, four to five. More flavour and more even burn. It lets the tobacco dry out more slowly than if I leave it in the open air. I think the main benefits are that the plug has time to rest and conform its shape, and its humidity, to those of the chamber and the briar. I don't know if this helps it burn more evenly, but I think it does. Nothing scientific. Just enjoying my smokes.

Does anybody else pack their pipes days ahead of smoking them and let the tobacco dry out inside the chamber?

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Sounds a bit like delayed gratification technique. I don't go over one whole day, but I've had good results with VA and VaPers.

I do a charring light and leave it out overnight or a couple of hours. Falcons are great for this, fill multiple bowls, char them and smoke them throughout the day.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've been packing a few pipes at a time lately, and leaving them in my jacket pocket or in the car so I can smoke them whenever the opportunity strikes, so to speak. I've had great smokes after the tobacco has been setting in the chamber for several days, like, four to five. More flavour and more even burn. It lets the tobacco dry out more slowly than if I leave it in the open air. I think the main benefits are that the plug has time to rest and conform its shape, and its humidity, to those of the chamber and the briar. I don't know if this helps it burn more evenly, but I think it does. Nothing scientific. Just enjoying my smokes.

Does anybody else pack their pipes days ahead of smoking them and let the tobacco dry out inside the chamber?
I sometimes pack a pipe way ahead of time if I previously smoked a different blend, hoping to kill any past flavors. Seems to work sometimes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think it's a good idea and works well for the most part. However, I smoke flake and usually put some loose stuff on the top to complete the full and help with the initial burn. That falls out easily. I think I'll pre pack my smokes for today since they will all be here at home, see how I like it.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I think it's a good idea and works well for the most part. However, I smoke flake and usually put some loose stuff on the top to complete the full and help with the initial burn. That falls out easily. I think I'll pre pack my smokes for today since they will all be here at home, see how I like it.
Yes. I sometimes end up with loose pieces of tobacco in my pocket. A wind cap generally works well for keeping the tobacco in the chamber until its time to light up.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I've tried to pre-pack my pipes for later use, like for the full week ahead. The main problem with the pre-packed tobacco turned out to be not as much drying as picking up foreign smells. After savouring some drawer/pocket/bag/etc. -flavoured smokes I stopped the practice.
I'm surprised tobacco sitting inside a pipe chamber would pick up environmental odours that readily. Do you keep kimchi or rotting fish in your drawer/pocket/bag/etc.?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I frequently pack a pipe or two and leave it for an opportune time, and it is a good place to dry blends. I'd be hesitant to carry a packed pipe in my pocket, since packing them hard enough to avoid spilled crumbs seems like it would often pack a chamber too solidly, but I could stow a pipe in a vehicle upright. But I pack in advance all the time.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
I'm surprised tobacco sitting inside a pipe chamber would pick up environmental odours that readily. Do you keep kimchi or rotting fish in your drawer/pocket/bag/etc.?
Not so readily but in 5 or 6 days it definitely did. I keep nothing particularly aromatic in my pockets or drawers so I wasn't really aware that those places might possess any odour at all.
The pre-packed pipes taught me I was wrong.
They picked up a certain whiff, nothing that I could put my finger on, still I preferred to have my smokes without it.

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
On days that I'm working I will usually pack my 2 commuter smokes the night before. I smoke one on the way to work, and one on the way home. Sometimes if I wind up drying more tobacco than I need I will just pack the rest into another pipe and set it aside to smoke later.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy