PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The key thing is you kept trying until you found one that worked. It always astonishes me that we don't have a standard way of packing a pipe, but I'll be damned if we have found one.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Gravity fill with a gentle thumb press once it's full, or stuff and puff as some say.
I spent alot of time early on obsessing over packing methods and giving them way too much credit. As soon as I stopped thinking about it and just lightly packed em, my pipes started smoking far better.
Better too loose than to tight, you can always tamp it tighter if needed.
I always recommend a few things for new smokers. One relates to dryness and moisture, the other is try all the packing methods until you can figure out what pack job smokes most easily and comfortable for you. Which is the thing we can't change physics but there are several windows in there that easiest most enjoyable smoke for each smoker lies. The goal isn't the perfect pack, it's an easy smoke that doesn't require a fight to get through.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I always recommend a few things for new smokers. One relates to dryness and moisture, the other is try all the packing methods until you can figure out what pack job smokes most easily and comfortable for you. Which is the thing we can't change physics but there are several windows in there that easiest most enjoyable smoke for each smoker lies. The goal isn't the perfect pack, it's an easy smoke that doesn't require a fight to get through.
Couldn't agree more. Through experimenting with different methods, I learned alot. One of the biggest things being how I prefer to smoke a flake - fully rubbed out.
I think it's worth delving into these concepts, but fixating on them can make the process very frustrating.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Couldn't agree more. Through experimenting with different methods, I learned alot. One of the biggest things being how I prefer to smoke a flake - fully rubbed out.
I think it's worth delving into these concepts, but fixating on them can make the process very frustrating.
One of the biggest mistakes in general people make is thinking too far ahead. Lots of newbies looking for the perfect smoke, when they'll get more out of looking for an easy smoke. It's the same advice I give to single friends. Just worry about having a good time on your date, don't worry about having a perfect outcome.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
One of the biggest mistakes in general people make is thinking too far ahead. Lots of newbies looking for the perfect smoke, when they'll get more out of looking for an easy smoke. It's the same advice I give to single friends. Just worry about having a good time on your date, don't worry about having a perfect outcome.
Practical and well said.

Reactions: anotherbob

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I don’t think anymore about packing a pipe I just stuff it.

What helped a lot as I quit the 3 pack method, after messing up almost all of my smokes, was putting a finger in the bowl to get a feeling of how much tobacco will fit into. A similar amount of loose tobacco as the length and thickness of the Finger goes in in one go. A little pressure and then you go or push another small amount. The wetter the looser.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Yup. For me, the preparation makes all the difference, "improving" the moisture level, packability, burnability, etc. Getting the right feel to the leaf before packing is my most important step.

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
This is only my second post. Being relatively new to a pipe.I have been struggling with the Black Art of packing a pipe. After countless you tube videos on the Frank method and the Three stage method. I came on an old thread discussing the Palm Swirl method, I looked into this and found it really works for me. Enjoying my smoking much more enjoyable. I feel this forum is going to be a great source of information for me. Took the advice given me in my first post and purchased a selection of English tobacco’s which has also enhanced my enjoyment.
After trying the classic 3 stages packing I came to this palm wirl technique after some time.
It's perfect at least for me. Much easier and fast. Very enjoyable for loose tobacco

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Blah blah.
You’ll struggle until you don’t. You tube and advice from forums hopefully will not retard your progression too much.
After somewhere between 750 and 1000 bowls you’ll start to come into it.