PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I do this with "broken flake" style blends to try and orient the chunks a little better in the bowl. There's just too much air space/relights and risk of over-tamping otherwise. I don't do it with finer cuts (ribbon or shag) or with rolled and stuffed true flakes.

If you need more confirmation than just my agreement that the technique is "a thing" I can tell you that it's on the list of prohibited actions for international slow smoking competition. Both during packing and smoking.

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
No way, so tapping isn't allowed in slow smoking competitions. Interesting!
I've been very aware of the pressure when filling my bowls recently. I keep the lower part of the bowl loose and only tamp firmer after my final load if I'm doing the 3-stack method. Come to think of it, even when I do the gravity feed I still tamp down and re-fill a little after tapping. As long as my draw is loose and the tobacco has a good feel I've been getting some fantastic smokes. I want to thank everybody who chimed in, you've given me excellent information to go by and it's been a big help. I appreciate it :)

Reactions: StPatrickPiper