PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What's the state law involved? Does this relate to tobacco only, or is it about online purchases and sales tax?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
P&C won't ship here to WA either, and the state tobacco tax rate is 95%.
My wife and I were raised here and planned to retire here. But the way things are developing, I have told her there is a 75% chance we will be legislated out of this state.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Hoosierpipeguy---You are correct at the present time.Give it a day,Month, or year,Probably less and it will not be available to him anywhere online.The scheme is get rid of all the brick and mortars.Make us all order online then make a rule that eventually tobacco will not be able to be shipped to any State.Funk politics,They need to simmer down with us.Washington and Maryland...now Utah this is sad news....just like the FDA B.S. Once it's on the table,it's simply a thing they can address and enforce.I just got rid of 9 pounds of Balkan..maybe that was a mistake...I have only about 25 pounds of tobacco left as of now.Time to buy more I guess. :idea:
Dude, put a space after the period, when you end a sentence. Without it, it's a nightmare to read.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So basically, if you want to smoke a pipe, you have to go out of state to buy tobacco. I visualize a car trunk full of OTC tubs. Then I would have to smoke two bowls a week. The economy of my state was built on tobacco, so though the industry has withered comparatively, it is still big here and holds some sway, We have other legislative problems, to my mind, but that is not one of them. Not yet anyway. I'd make friends with a long-haul truck driver or similar person who would be asked to bring my purchases and I'd meet him or her at their freight drop. (Could I take the time and trouble? Hmmm.) Oops. On second thought that sounds like an interstate commerce problem. Back to the trunk load of OTC's I guess.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
The law has been in place since 2009 I believe. There have always been a handful of shops, more of the "off the beaten path" places that wouldn't ship to Utah. Surprised that P&C did this but the fine is 5k so maybe they got burned or the law dogs caught wind of the issue.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
oldgeezer, am originally from S. Dakota, but moved out in '87 long before there was such a thing as internet tobacco sales and back when there was such a thing as a decent B&M nearby. If I lived there now, would probably be up a creek. Good reason not to move back as if their winters weren't a good enough reason all on their own.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
This is Utah. Only thing I am surprised about is that it was not enacted sooner.

Surprised they allow you to even fart. Maybe a user tax on that or something..

Status
Not open for further replies.