PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I'm not what you might call an experienced cigar smoker, though I do enjoy a stick every month or so. For IPSD, Pipes and Cigars handed out a 14 cigar sampler pack, which seems very generous. Can anyone assess the quality of these cigars? Are these leftover inventory? Any information would be helpful.

Reactions: musicman and BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I'm not what you might call an experienced cigar smoker, though I do enjoy a stick every month or so. For IPSD, Pipes and Cigars handed out a 14 cigar sampler pack, which seems very generous. Can anyone assess the quality of these cigars? Are these leftover inventory? Any information would be helpful.
IIRC, there were a number of decent brands in that offering. Between P&C, Cigars, Cigars International, Et al, they move a lot of volume.

Between the business entities they do offer a lot of mixed brands, which is a good way to pick up a small number of something you might want to try and make a larger purchase latter.

Just because the offering wasn’t explicitly Tatuajes, Opus X’s, Camachos, etc doesn’t equate to them being “Dog Rockets”.

If you can be satisfied smoking a cigar that costs you less, then you’re ahead of the game. As with pipes, it’s not a popularity contest to see who can show off the most expensive pipe or rarest unicorn tobacco.

I thought I saw a La Joya in there... good cigar. I may have to smoke one today.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
What cigars were included?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
IIRC, there were a number of decent brands in that offering. Between P&C, Cigars, Cigars International, Et al, they move a lot of volume.

Between the business entities they do offer a lot of mixed brands, which is a good way to pick up a small number of something you might want to try and make a larger purchase latter.

Just because the offering wasn’t explicitly Tatuajes, Opus X’s, Camachos, etc doesn’t equate to them being “Dog Rockets”.

If you can be satisfied smoking a cigar that costs you less, then you’re ahead of the game. As with pipes, it’s not a popularity contest to see who can show off the most expensive pipe or rarest unicorn tobacco.

I thought I saw a La Joya in there... good cigar. I may have to smoke one today.
I’m only kidding really.

To the OP it’s a 14 stick sampler .. offered in a factory cellophane by Drew Estate.

I’m guessing they didn’t sell etc and also assuming P&C would like some more C business.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
They are all Drew estate brands. MUWAT, Undercrown, Joya De Nicaragua, Kentucky Fire Cured, nica Rustica
Those are some pretty good cigars, some of which use the same leaf as DE’s super premium cigars (such as liga no 9). Many of the cigar samplers out there are indeed full of dog rockets, but not this one.

And if you really came to that conclusion without knowing anything at all about the brands being offered, then just don’t. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, and may the lord have mercy on your soul.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Likely leftover inventory of some sort. If this is the DE sampler then those are some pretty good smokes, especially the Undercrown and the Nica Rustica. They aren’t super premiums, but they certainly aren’t crap.

Reactions: BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Packaged as a promotional item. Likely by the wholesaler or manufacturer for a specific promotional event such as was described. Same the ceramic humidors recently offered by another retailer. Leftover inventory? Perhaps. Or the unit cost was minimal due to a production overrun, or any other number of reasons.

A promotion is used to entice buyers and generate a certain volume of sales, or just move inventory. Inventory is money that isn't sitting in a bank earning interest, or invested generating a return. Sales = liquidity.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Those are some pretty good cigars, some of which use the same leaf as DE’s super premium cigars (such as liga no 9). Many of the cigar samplers out there are indeed full of dog rockets, but not this one.

And if you really came to that conclusion without knowing anything at all about the brands being offered, then just don’t. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, and may the lord have mercy on your soul.
I’m just repeating the shit I got from cigar guys about them lol

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Likely leftover inventory of some sort. If this is the DE sampler then those are some pretty good smokes, especially the Undercrown and the Nica Rustica. They aren’t super premiums, but they certainly aren’t crap.
It’s a factory packaged sampler. They still sell them on Thompson cigar etc... roughly 50 bucks.

Reactions: musicman

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I got in on this deal also. 15% off, free shipping, and free decent cigars. What's not to like. Tastykake come to papa...

Status
Not open for further replies.