PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
EJames, 50/50 for 30 min.?
I generally go with about a 4 to mix-4 parts water-one bleach and find it works fine. How long you leave it in depends on how heavily it is oxidized. I've left them in over night with no problems. Good quality stems will come out the bleach fairly smooth. Others may be pitted lightly.

The way I understand it,the sulphur in the rubber is what causes the oxidation. The bleach removes that oxidized sulphur on and just below the surface-hence the pitting.I generally start sanding(wet) with 600 grit and work up to 800-1000 then buff.Bleach will not hurt inlaid PLASTIC trademark logos. ANY aluminum( and painted) must be protected with a good coat of vasiline.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
nsfisher and I use similar techniques, but I simply don't have the attention span and have instead, used magic eraser followed-up with diamond white compound and a FLUFFY denim wheel (or squares of old denim if I am doing it by hand). It's always a problem getting a uniform oxidation removal, as it always remains in the crevices and around the logos where you dare not go. If it's for personal use, a clean pipe is all you need.... if it's for resale, unless you are like a surgeon and do it perfectly - don't bother. Guys will pay just as much for a filthy pipe they can clean themselves (if it is in good condition) as one someone has experimented with. Your photos will show all of this and if they don't you'll hear about it.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Oxyclean works for me, I've never tried bleach but won't rule out trying it eventually. I want to try every technique if possible, and I just got my Walkers kit this week. Testing it this weekend.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I never used bleach, no reason, just haven't
I use a mile Oxyclean solution, about 3:1 with water.
Here's why I went back to using Oxyclean: If the oxidation is stubborn, you can definitely apply elbow grease to the stem with various papers. BUT, the more aggressive paper or extended sanding will take off the nice sharp creases on the stems, no matter now hard you try not too. That is also why I learned to sand the stem on the pipe, as to not round that edge as well. After the Oxyclean soak, the oxidation is loosened, so I need to sand less aggresively and use a finer grade of paper. For me, that is a good outcome. I rounded stem edges early on and once done, that stem will never look new again, no matter how shiny it is. You cannot put an edge back on a stem, at least I have been unsuccessful.
I also almost never use below a 1500 grit wet paper for the first sand. On some really horribly oxidized stems, I have dropped back to 800 grit, but that will also remove stem material fast.
My suggestion is sand only as aggresively as needed with the finest paper possible. Oxy-clean helps me achieve that.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I soak the stem in a 1-1 water/bleach solution, then take a brillo pad to the stem. Then I clean the interior thoroughly with pipe cleaners soaked in absinthe or some other high alcohol spirit. Then, I apply a layer of olive oil. This method seems to work okay, but I'm very curious about Oxyclean and maybe a Magic Eraser. I take it that I just need to soak the stem and then apply some elbow grease with the marker?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I also almost never use below a 1500 grit wet paper for the first sand. On some really horribly oxidized stems, I have dropped back to 800 grit, but that will also remove stem material fast.
800 grit removes material fast? Never had a problem with 800 or even 600 removing material too quickly. On some stems with toothmarks or deep scratches I sometimes start with 360 -400 and very seldom go higher than 800 before buffing with white diamond.That will produce a shine I can see my mugly ug in,and not cause any rounding or loss of edges and will not remove an excessive amount of material.The trick is to sand just enough to get a smooth surface.

It is a good idea to start with the highest grit that will do the job and if need be drop back to a courser grit.Sure 1500 or 2000 will eventually give a nice smooth surface. But you can start at a lower grit,work up through the grits,in less time,without removing an excess of material.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I find Oxi Clean not as harsh as bleach. I have had great results with it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm just saying, that with my limited experience, I tend to remove too much stem material with really abrasive papers. I hope in time, that I can learn to use them and not damage the stem. I bet that I'm also slower than most hobbyist restorers, but that is not a big deal at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.