PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
When oxidation is advanced enough to discolor the stem, I have yet to find a substitute for simply sanding. I start with heavier grit to get the bulk of it, then go to lighter grit as I get closer to being done. It takes a while, it stinks, but it works.

Then polish and it's good to go.
This. Fuck oxiclean or any other BS

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
When oxidation is advanced enough to discolor the stem, I have yet to find a substitute for simply sanding. I start with heavier grit to get the bulk of it, then go to lighter grit as I get closer to being done. It takes a while, it stinks, but it works.

Then polish and it's good to go.
This is what I’ve always had the absolute best success with and therefore I do it this way every time. It gets my two sore thumbs up approval rating.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I try to use the least abrasive grade possible - typically 800, sometimes 600 and very occasionally, 400 (super rare). Near the stem/button, I always go up a grade to avoid forever changing contours.
Thanks. I hear you about the stem/button, though it's hard because that's where the crud is worst.

Another difficult area is the sharp edge when the stem meets the shank. I've wondered if oxi-clean will tend to round it.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
If it's just your own pipe that you want to freshen up then don't waste your time with Oxyclean; just wet sand it and then micro mesh with finer grades until it's a mirror.

Estates are another story. I'm a germophobe, so on any estate I want to murder any trace of funky, nasty, petrified, old guy, left-over, mucous drool. So I will soak that stem in either Oxyclean or chlorine bleach for a couple hours. Then wet sand 600 & 1200, then a buffing wheel with a brown compound I have, then white diamond, then caranuba wax. Inside the stem, after the soak, I clean with soft scrub & a pipe cleaner. I'm sure it's overkill, but it makes me feel better.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Really frustrated here... bought some Oxiclean to clean the oxidation off my vulcanite stems like the Bare Pipe youtube channel guy shows, but the Oxiclean is scented... There are so many vaguely described Oxiclean products that I don't know which one is the "original", and which ones are unscented. For those of you who have used Oxiclean, which one did you use? Was it scented? If it WAS scented, was it ok to use to clean these stems? I DO NOT want to ghost my pipe stems with f*&@#%g synthetic fragrance.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
The one we use for our white bed linen, white t shirts etc. is odourless.
Meanwhile I skip the Oxiclean and start ( wet ) sanding with 1000 grit nail buffers.
Works as a charm, I buy the stuff on Ebay for a song.
For instance :

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If it's just your own pipe that you want to freshen up then don't waste your time with Oxyclean; just wet sand it and then micro mesh with finer grades until it's a mirror.

Estates are another story. I'm a germophobe, so on any estate I want to murder any trace of funky, nasty, petrified, old guy, left-over, mucous drool. So I will soak that stem in either Oxyclean or chlorine bleach for a couple hours. Then wet sand 600 & 1200, then a buffing wheel with a brown compound I have, then white diamond, then caranuba wax. Inside the stem, after the soak, I clean with soft scrub & a pipe cleaner. I'm sure it's overkill, but it makes me feel better.
You’re more likely to absorb all those chemicals than old guy spit

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This. Fuck oxiclean or any other BS
Kinky!

When it comes to getting rid of actual oxidation, not mouth sludge, the affected material has to be physically removed. It comes down to a sanding process followed by a polishing process.

One of the reasons why I won't pay much for a vintage pipe with an oranged stem is that the amount of material needing removal isn't trivial and it throws off the alignment of contour between the shank and the stem. I may end up having a new stem made and I'm not paying twice for a stem.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Really frustrated here... bought some Oxiclean to clean the oxidation off my vulcanite stems like the Bare Pipe youtube channel guy shows, but the Oxiclean is scented... There are so many vaguely described Oxiclean products that I don't know which one is the "original", and which ones are unscented. For those of you who have used Oxiclean, which one did you use? Was it scented? If it WAS scented, was it ok to use to clean these stems? I DO NOT want to ghost my pipe stems with f*&@#%g synthetic fragrance.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Relax, it won't ghost the stem- I use it

Status
Not open for further replies.