PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Which actors and actresses do you feel have been overrated or underrated?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It may sound strange to mention an Academy Award winning actor who is also

a media tycoon and one of the richest people in the world as an underrated actor,

but I was pretty surprised to see the tour de force performance that Oprah Winfrey

gave playing a lower middle class alcoholic housewife in the recent film "The Butler."

She obviously knows well the kinds of frustration the person she was depicting suffers.

She obviously knows a lot. She totally made me forget the rich and famous person she

is and made me feel the anonymous and drifting character she played.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Over - Marlon Brando, Harrison Ford, Natalie Wood, Meryl Streep, Grace Kelly.

Under - Robert Mitchum, Audie Murphy, Laraine Day.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Over:

Ben Afleck (Batman really???)

Adam Sandler (couple great movies and a lot of bad ones)

William Shatner (needs no explanation, everyone in your family stop acting please!!! You were a GREAT actor in your youth and then something broke!!!)

Arnold Schwarzenegger (Needs no explanation)

Will Ferrell (occasionally great, people act like he walks on water)
Under:

Wesley Snipes (one of my top 2 actors, I wish I could see more of him! He's so intelligent and fast on his feet, it's sickening)

Keanu Reeves!!!(anyone who likes him gets thrown under the bus, I love his sci-fi movies (my other top 2)!!!)

Cary Elwes (Extremely under-rated, childhood hero & master comedian)

Robin Williams (only gets into the really awful comedies these days, when he plays a bad guy, it's really really scary good! & he does great suspense films as well.)

Tilda Swinton (You plain scare me in a really really creepy way, good work, you rock!)

Steve Buscemi (Never a main actor, always backup, crazy personality, one of a kind)

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Over - Damon

Under - William H Macy, Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Not that their necessarily critically under-rated. But in the popular mind Macy and Hoffman fly too low under the radar.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Not sure if he's overrated, but he definitely overacts: Keanu Reeves.
After I wrote the above I saw Eric's comment:
Keanu Reeves!!!(anyone who likes him gets thrown under the bus, I love his sci-fi movies (my other top 2)!!!)
lol! I really liked The Matrix a lot - but still doesn't mean he can act.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I love him, Constantine was also pretty great along with Johnny Mnemonic, The Devil's Advocate and Chain Reaction. I wish he was in more sci-fi!
He does seem to have a very limited role, but I think he does it very well, and it happens to be my favorite type of movie...

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Over-rated: Sean Young, Tom Cruise, Samuel Jackson, Michael Douglas
Under-rated: Glenn Close, Bryan Cranston, John C. Reilly, Benicio Del Toro

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I did like Devil's Advocate, but while Reeves was fine and filled the role well, Pacino makes that movie.

Over-Toby Maguire, Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom.

Under-Buscemi, John Malkovich, James McAvoy, Christopher Lee, Brian Cox.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
+1 peck :) Yeah John Malkovich is probably one of those that are "under" as many people have no idea who he is. In fact my family are the only ones who know him by name I know in real life, it's pretty sad!

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I'll throw in Michael Sheen as underrated. The guy is a chameleon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Eric, take a look at Robin Williams playing ... Eisenhower! ... in "The Butler." Just a cameo role, but truly

interesting, though it took some context to understand that he was Eisenhower and not Truman, since

the make-up makes him look more like Harry. Both Presidents tended toward those translucent eyeglass

frames. I guess they felt the frames look like they had shed their vanity.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Under rated in my book is the late brilliant actress Anne Bancroft. Try "84 Charring Cross Road" for starters with Anthony Hopkins. Her husband, Mel Brooks thought so much of her that he bought the screen rights for this film solely for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.