PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some pipes that you might not buy today still turn out to be good old work horses that always come through. One of my favorites is my Kaywoodie Drinkless in the discontinued screw-on stem stinger format. This was around for maybe fifty years or more, and they finally went for push bits, but meantime I bought one of the old ones, with the corny old carved smooth bowl (Ruff-Tone) a more or less matte finish that shows no grain, and a shape I interpret as author. It turns out, the stringer is quick to clean and not obstructive of the airway. The pipe is fairly light weight, compact, and quite durable. It has that Americana look, like some of the 1950's American automobiles that haven't entirely rusted away. Do you have a particular favorite that you consider passe but enjoyable?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', they may be pre 1975, but I could (from the photos) never think of them as outdated, more like classic. I think I'm going for the conspicuously outmoded but still enjoyable oldies.

Reactions: gamzultovah

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
All of these are older than me and would have been something my grandfather might have seen for sale way back when. Still smoke them regularly. Two of the oldest (circa 1933-36) were unsmoked when I bought them. The newest one might be from the early 50s if my understanding is correct.

Not exactly outdated but the stinger fad is truly over by now at any rate, lol. Briar is still good and they smoke just fine.C8D8E511-ACB5-410D-92DF-84321EA15EE6.jpeg

Slowpony

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2019
NC
The jumbo Wellington pipes. They seem to be pretty old. They don’t make em that big anymore! I kinda wish Peterson made them that size. I know they were a knockoff of Peterson.

Reactions: gamzultovah

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So belatedly, I just pulled an easily removable stinger out of my EWA green stain churchwarden Group 2, a nice little smoker.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have a Phillip Trypis square panel that is a very blocky pipe that might not be considered very modern but it is one of my favourites. The pipe smokes great, sits well in the hand and is a wonderful example of a signature pipe by a legendary Canadian carver.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have some old British wood like Barlings, Dunhill's and Willmers.. I smoke them once in a while as the stems except for the Barlings are not as comfortable as my artisan pipes. I like them for their older styling and the history they represent.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
The following pipes in my collection are extremely outdated (or should I say, extremely dated). Like bell bottom pants or tie dye shirts, these pipes scream 1970’s; and not many smokers would likely sport them in public. But they all smoke great (all but one. The Micoli has never been smoked.)
650CA87C-7A81-4F83-8B2E-8C64F5A3EC9B.jpeg
20EFC2AC-C637-4B42-9CB3-22EA0E5813D3.jpeg
I bought these pipes back when I had a fascination with the Danish style pipes I remembered from my childhood. That phase has passed, but these pipes remain.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The following pipes in my collection are extremely outdated (or should I say, extremely dated). Like bell bottom pants or tie dye shirts, these pipes scream 1970’s; and not many smokers would likely sport them in public. But they all smoke great (all but one. The Micoli has never been smoked.)
View attachment 31603
View attachment 31604
I bought these pipes back when I had a fascination with the Danish style pipes I remembered from my childhood. That phase has passed, but these pipes remain.
Freehands are still quite common with artisans, and even Dunhill kicks one out occasionally. My Holms smoke great, even have an unsmoked Hallmark.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Freehands are still quite common with artisans, and even Dunhill kicks one out occasionally. My Holms smoke great, even have an unsmoked Hallmark.
Yeah, I won’t ever smoke the Micoli. It is in my collection to be preserved for future generations. I even have the original wooden box that it came in. Someone will likely smoke it in the future, but not under my watch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gotta second the motion on that Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog. It comes with an acrylic stem. The shaping on mine, probably all of them, is noticeably well crafted. Those folks in Sparta, N.C., really love pipes, I'd say. It bridges the past and the present. Also, I only have three freehand -- a fine Johs plateau tomahawk (pointy bottom to the bowl); a Thompson Cigar house pipe, a gift from friends; and a Nording Signature, a gift from those same friends. When they are done well, they are timeless.

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have a Ruf-Tone that I think may be the same shape as yours. Great lil pug ugly smoker. The stinger doesn't bother me. I guess for a while meerschaum pipes were considered outdated. I have a Medico Meer Billiard that uses a 6mm filter. I'm sure that counts double for outdated, but it's a fine smoker as well.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
View attachment 31603
View attachment 31604
Those are beautiful, and I'd smoke them all over town!

Status
Not open for further replies.