PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Hey guys, I think this discussion may be moot. eBay's use of the coded User ID's for bidding actually changes from time to time. As an example, my bidder ID may show up as 0***g one week but then show up as P**S another week. So, the coded ID assigned to you will not always be the same.
And, being the mercenary individual that I am, yes, please bid all over each other as you try to win one of my pipes. :wink:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
+1 Pipestud

I too have noticed that my "coded" ID has changed, and I've sold to the same person a few times, and their ID's have changed.

(the IDs in the bid history). Its all part of Ebays attempt at anonymity and I prefer it that way.......

No harm no fowl when you don't know who your'e up against! :puffy:

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
+1 @mikestanley. When I bid, I'm biding for me. I put in the most I'm willing to spend for that particular item. If i get it, i get it. If not, there will be others. :puffy:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I agree with what Nate and Al have said. Now if I would just clean up my mailbox messages sent about GBD 9438's and Sasieni Ashford's!!!

puff

Lurker
May 9, 2015
I don't know that I have yet earned the right to have an opinion on this (this being only my second post), however these are my two cents:
How about we just agree only to bid on things we'd like, and only to bid a lot of money on things we'd really like? The way I see it the seller might just as well be a PM member, and don't we owe it to that guy to pay him what the pipe is worth? I am not going to try to inflate the price needlessly, but if I really like a piece, I am going to bid what I am willing to pay. "willing to pay" being a trade off between what the pipe is worth to me (the larger number) and what I can afford to pay for it (the smaller number).
If others do the same, then if someone outbid me, that person either loved it more, in which case I am happy for the buyer, or that person could afford more, in which case I am happy for the seller. :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"How about we just agree only to bid on things we'd like, and only to bid a lot of money on things we'd really like?"
You are joking, right?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
As Dave noted, a number of us already fire off emails, texts and phone calls to forum friends and fellow pipe-nerds when we see eBay listings for pipes that might be in another guy's wheelhouse. Sometimes that contact is to bring the auction to the other person's attention, sometimes that contact is to say, "Tell me if you're bidding on this, 'cause if not I'm going for it!"
While this dialogue is nice, it isn't EVER expected nor should it be assumed. All's fair in love and auctions and at the end of the day, if I get snookered 'cause one of you jokers wants to spend more on a pipe than I think it's worth... Well then more power to you, and I hope you enjoy it.
Mostly.
Sort of.
You jerk.
:puffy:
-- Pat

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Veteran of war and a great many auctions... War was more civilized. There are no friends at an auction.
I have MANY MANY times seen things on ebay and wished I could ask advice on here but won't for fear of people vulture g my auction. There are a LOT more lurkers here than most people realize.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
There are no friends at an auction.
Great point, wyfbane. Also includes white sales, yard sales, real estate transactions, or any other endeaver in which human beings are vying for something they want at a competitive price :lol:

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I remember a thread not to long ago where a potential buyer expressed his absolute love for a very nice volcano pipe along with his desire to win the auction. For me personally I backed off of that auction cause I could tell he really wanted it. I think a few others here backed off as well and he ended up getting a nice pipe at a reasonable cost.
There were three other auctions that were linked in that same thread. I think, given the extra attention here by those posts, that those three auctions went much higher than they should have. That's the risk that you run if you opt to share info on an auction here before it is done. You may get some people to back off but you might also bring attention to more serious buyers, driving up the cost.
Personally, if I find a pipe that I just can't resist I'd lean towards not bringing any more attention to it by posting on the forums. As others have mentioned we all just need to pick a price that we're comfortable bidding and see what happens.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I've asked people before, particularly members I know would bid very high, if they were bidding on a certain pipe. Luckily, I scored an excellent pipe at a great price and the other guys weren't interested!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, one thing is for sure - I NEVER post a link for a pipe that is currently for auction (unless it is one of those zany $20,000 Dr. Grabow, etc. ads, for comedic relief). I hate it when someone posts a link on a forum, to a pipe that I'm watching.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Posting links on this forum for an in progress auction is like chumming for sharks with blood!!! And worse, you won't even know they're there until the very last second. I've watched a nice piece double or even triple in price in the last few seconds. But all of that said, I don't find too many good pipes go unnoticed so the reality is it probably doesn't make much difference. I just don't feel like I shot myself in the foot.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I try and NEVER post links to auctions before they have ended and think it is a great way to drive the price on an item up up and away into the stratosphere. Harris, your idea is a noble and honorable suggestion but alas, this forum is open to the public and 6 billion people on this spinning rock have the potential to view it at any given time. As has been said already, PM's are the way to go and the best avenue to venture down when it comes to scoring a rarer or personally sought after pipe or tobacco. I know i have alerted a few members (Al a few times off the top of my head) of particular pipes up for sale on the bay. I have also alerted a couple members of rare(r) tobacco that has become available at a particular site. I have also had the same courteous tipoff extended my way as well and it has helped me more than a few times in acquiring the more elusive blends that fly off the shelves.
PM'ing also forces a more personal interaction with some of the great guys and gals on this forum, which in my experience has led me to further confirm the quality of the individuals here and in the pipe community as a whole.

puff

Lurker
May 9, 2015
"How about we just agree only to bid on things we'd like, and only to bid a lot of money on things we'd really like?"
You are joking, right?

Yes, but just a little bit to illustrate a point, though Cosmic made the point far better, (goodness, Cosmic, laughed so hard it made me cry) -- Everyone just wants a pipe, if they don't they'll bid on one they do. Also I think the seller deserves getting a fair price for his/her nice pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.