PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have been smoking Missouri Meerschaum& cobs for three years I use the Charles Towne Cobbler for the virginias, or some blends without latakia. The aromatics, latakias, I smoke in the MM General, and in the Diplomat. They are not perfect pipes in construction, they have some insignificant errors or unevenness, but in my experience, they are the best. And on top of that, they are priced well within the consumer's pocket. I am very satisfied with this brand.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have smoked mine multiple times per day while traveling. No problem. But I do think the smoke tastes better when I give them a day or two’s rest
You can have a number of pipes, for rotation and if you can let them rest and smoke them when they are well dried. Corn pipes have to be smoked well dried. I let them rest and dry for several days, it all depends on where you are in the area. Here in southern Spain, there is no such thing as winter, everything dries quickly, hahahahahaaha.

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
I’ve been a loyal MM smoker for over 25 years, even during the lean years when they could only make the small bowls. The QC problems I’ve run into this year with pipes that I’ve ordered has been troubling for sure. Stems only partially drilled out, ill fitting stems, etc. I still love them though, they provide my favorite smoking medium at a reasonable price. Hopefully they get some of the kinks worked out soon.

Reactions: Chaukisch

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I finally received my 10€ MM and I'm very happy. Never would've thought that such a rather crude construction could provide such a good smoke. But I knew they're famous for a reason. I only had to do a little more sanding on the outside of the bowl because it was very rough and didn't look pleasant at all.
No signs of glue at all, in fact it could use a little because it's not exactly airtight.
But I love it already and it won't be my last!

20220917_185501 - Copy.jpg

20220917_185536 - Copy.jpg

Those bulges you see on the inside of the chamber appeared after the second or third smoke, I'm quite sure they weren't there when it was unsmoked. Did any of you ever observe something like this?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't buy MM cobs often enough to know the current quality control situation, but my MM cobs bought over the years have done so well, I don't think of them as disposable. Earlier purchases I fit with Forever stems, and more recently I've bought the special editions with acrylic stems.

All of mine have proven well made and solid, and consistently good smokers. They will often consume the whole chamber of blend to fine ash with no deterioration of flavor. You just stop when the ember is gone to fine ash. It always impresses me. And it makes old time codger blends taste like premium limited edition blends.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Bought them all before the pandemic. They were well made enough for $25 pipes. Didn't expect much. Only use them for codger blends. But they sure smoke like champs. If KFC didn't stop selling the corn on the cob, maybe they could have gone into the cob pipe business. That would have been a public service considering their chicken sucks now days.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaukisch

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As for alternative cob pipes, Old Dominion in Virginia, run by the Savage brothers, grew their own corn especially for cobs and used only natural reed stems. They eventually sold the business to Missouri Meerschaum, which still sells that style of pipes. I'm not sure if the quality control is the same for both brands now. I think the Savage brothers may still grow the cobs for their pipes.

Old Dominions are favored by re-enactors for their authenticity. I bought two of their pipes at a pipe show from one of the brothers, and they were well made. I use the small edition for finishing off "dog walker" small cigars since the chamber just fits that size cigar, not cigarillos, but not full size cigars.

Reactions: CallMeSangy

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Let’s not forget with MM, about the Forever Stems, and they also have caps, so you can gussy them up! LOL 😆

My MM Morgan and Apple Diplomat with Forever Stems are really good smokers, especially the Diplomat.

F6A9B75C-1311-4D73-B043-2B05E534BD92.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: CallMeSangy

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
Those bulges you see on the inside of the chamber appeared after the second or third smoke, I'm quite sure they weren't there when it was unsmoked. Did any of you ever observe something like this?
Now that I think about it, I have the same "bulges" in my pipes as well. Never gave it any thought. Though funny enough, I once equally thought about taking some sand paper to edge down the chamber a bit to make it smoother, but I just smoked through it in the end. I just eventually chalked it down to rough bits of carbon and particles of tobacco that get simply stuck to the chamber after a bowl.

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Now that I think about it, I have the same "bulges" in my pipes as well. Never gave it any thought. Though funny enough, I once equally thought about taking some sand paper to edge down the chamber a bit to make it smoother, but I just smoked through it in the end. I just eventually chalked it down to rough bits of carbon and particles of tobacco that get simply stuck to the chamber after a bowl.
Yeah I'm not too worried about it either, they don't affect performance at all.
On the contrary, with every puff I like the pipe more and more. Neat little thing.