PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I was wondering if the PG content in OTC blends is the same in a tub as it is in a pouch? A tub keeps far longer, so you'd think you wouldn't need that stuff in it. But its probably more likely that the tobacco is made in large batches and gets that crap added to it and is then divided into tubs and pouches.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
and flashes of during the tobacco processing...

I did not understand the second part of the sentence.
I think that should have been "flashes off", but I'm guessing...
And personally, I do find it kind of funny that on the one hand, people complain about the PG in their tobacco and yet recommend Biotene mouth rinse for tongue bite - PG is one of Biotene's main ingredients (that slightly viscous mouthfeel? That's the PG...). :D

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
an old friend of mine has smoked PA his entire life and swears that the pouch and tub are different. He says he gets a "Bite" from the pouch that he does not get from his usual tub.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think coalsmoke has confused the properties of alcohol with those of propylene glycol.

At about the 55% mark in the Mac Baren Tour part 1, Per Jensen says they use a fog of alcohol

to carry the flavor into the leaf, and then it evaporates, leaving the flavoring behind.
In his column Ask G L Pease, from December, 2011, I was surprised to learn that PG is used as a flavor carrier,

but I don't think it evaporates. Being a humectant, it stays with the product, locking-up water molecules

when the humidity level exceeds about 70%, and releasing water molecules when it falls below 70%.

Today, PG-like molecules can be formulated to perform this function at many different, customized humidity levels.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Many top dressings (flavorings added at the end of processing) are alcohol-based, and most of the alcohol will flash off, leaving the flavoring behind. But since many packaged brands use propylene glycol as a humectant, the flavorings can be combined with it, saving a step in the process. Interestingly, like a similar humectant, Sorbitol, if ingested in any but a small quantity, it can have a laxative effect as it draws water into the intestines. This has little bearing on the subject, but it illustrates how PG works.
Russ

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I really don't like aro's, I've had a pouch of this maple vanilla stuff that won't dry out and it's been months now. I'm all about natural tobacco. I find aro's are for room note, but I could care less what people think of the smell of my pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.