Mac Baren Tobacco Factory Tour | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information
Mac Baren Tobacco Factory Tour     January 5th, 2011

The Mac Baren Tobacco Company’s roots go back to 1887. Today, they are one of the largest pipe tobacco production facilities in the world. Mac Baren is located in the beautiful town of Svendborg, Denmark and comprises several buildings on an incredibly large campus. Sykes Wilford of SmokingPipes.com, and I made the visit to Mac Baren together. As soon as we got out of the car in the parking lot, we could smell the delicious aroma of the tobacco being processed. We are instantly smiling before we even have both feet on the ground. I feel more excited than I did as a kid on my first visit to Disney World.

As you can imagine, when you have the owners of SmokingPipes.com and PipesMagazine.com together, there is going to be a lot of pipes and tobaccos involved. We get out of the car and open the back where we have our individual collections of pipes and tobaccos we brought for the trip. As I start reaching for what I want to bring inside, Sykes, reminiscent of Clemenza in The Godfather, says; "Take the pipes, leave the tobacco." I guess it is a good policy to show up sans tobacco when you are visiting one of the largest tobacco factories in the world.

I don’t think we could have made this visit more enjoyable if we tried. We got to see all kinds of really neat machinery producing many of our favorite products, we smoked wonderful tobacco, drank amazing coffee and even had excellent food for lunch. Not only that, but I had a Mac Baren executive personally pack my pipe for me. I think the only thing we were missing would be a harem of dancing girls. (Actually, Per did ask if I could bring the Pipe Babes next time.)

Please enjoy Part 1 of our video tour of the Mac Baren Tobacco Factory, which runs about 15-minutes, and watch for Parts 2 & 3 in the coming days as well. After the video, we have additional photos and text.

Video rendering …

Watch Part 2 Here

Raw tobacco is stored in bales weighing 200 kilos each. There are several different types of Virginia tobacco, from Brightleaf all the way to dark fermented. The labels are shortened here to read "Virgin", but it is really to mean "Virginia".

This tobacco is waiting to be processed. It has so far been untouched by the factory.

Tobacco comes from all over the world. You can see some Burley from Paraguay above, followed by Maple Sugar and Pure Licorice Extract.

Tobaccos are pressed under extreme pressure for varying amounts of time to make flake tobaccos. The last picture is of machinery used for casing the tobacco.

The Mac Baren Tobacco Factory Tour continues in Part 2 … coming soon.

14 Responses to “Mac Baren Tobacco Factory Tour”

1. juozapas said:

One of my all time favorites….nice work !!

2. dubinthedam said:

Just confirms my belief that MAC b are top professionals. Great work.

3. thomc80 said:

Cant wait to see parts 2 and 3.

4. surfmac211 said:

I think if you bring Bubba’s wife your going to have to bring him as well lol.
    Awesome video! Well done Kevin!

5. Strinii said:

Although I live in a good “tobacco country” I have never been on a tobacco factory before and I must say, it was very interesting to see, I’ve seen how they manufacture Georg Jensen pipes, but never tobacco, looking forward to see No. 2 and no.3.

6. dzrtrat said:

Well done, I can’t wait to see the other two installments.

7. Bob said:

This is a great and interesting video! I wish that I was there with you guys. I can’t wait to see parts 2 & 3!

8. classicgeek said:

Fascinating. Interesting how they work with something organic that is inherently non-uniform and compensate for it. I’m thinking of the humidity, here, and making it so that the casing is absorbed uniformly.

Looking forward to parts 2 and 3.

Simon

9. Lawrence said:

That was very cool.
    I learned something damnit!
    I am really looking forward to the next two.
    Great work Kevin!

10. Tommy said:

That was cool. That was really cool. So the casing is applied via an alcohol fog and the vanilla is real vanilla, I want to learn more!
    I can’t wait for the next episode.

Well that was totally impressi… just a sec, I gotta put my socks back on!

Ah, there. OK, I had no idea Mac Baren was such a huge enterprise, so heavily invested in equipment and other manufacturing resources.

Even though I realize those bales of tobaccos were in the preprocessed stage, it still made my mouth water to think of the ambrosia they would soon become.

Thanks so much for thinking of us and making a video record of your visit to share online.

12. [...] Mac Baren Tobacco Factory Tour Pipe News2010-12-14 10:11:24Exclusive Spy Photo of New G. L. Pease JackKnife PlugFrom: PipesMagazine.com Industrial Espionage Unit2010-11-19 07:47:19Arango Cigar Co. Acquires XYZ Direct’s Assets and Distribution RightsFrom: 2010-10-28 15:21:47Savinelli Pipe Trunk Show Event November 3-4From: 2010-10-25 15:03:41Broken Pipe: Herb Brigham of Brigham Enterprises Inc. PassesFrom: 2010-10-11 11:44:30Dunhill Pipe Tobaccos Now Coming mid-November 2010From: Industry Sources [...]

13. [...] Watch Part 1 Here [...]

14. spartan said:

So I just smoke latakia blends and I don’t have to take showers anymore?! Rock on.