Orliks Dark Strong Kentucky Tastes Awful When Folded Rather than Rubbed Out.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi All,

Just wanting to understand why this might be the case, I've got some Dark strong from 2014, and when rubbed out fully, it smokes awesomely, however, when I do the fold and stuff method, it just tastes bitter.

I've tried this twice, and can confirm the result for me, any clue as to why?

Ahi Ka mentioned that it could be the burn rate.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jshogan2

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
it just is how it is. Every flake practically tastes different with the different presentation. The one that confusses me the most is the one Briar Works porch blend. Folded and stuffed it tastes like the casing rubbed out it tastes like a moderately good va blend. Not a huge fan of the stuff and I might have gotten it backwards it's been a while.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I actually prefer it folded and stuffed. I do dry it out pretty heavily before smoking though. My guess is that it is getting a lot more dry when you rub it out than when you just let it sit for a few minutes. The inside of the flakes are probably really wet. Mine is always really too moist out of the tin.

Jshogan2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2019
SC
Like the other folks said, moisture difference is key here (most likely). The flake is just going to smoke wetter and taste pretty different compared to the same blend rubbed out. The air/leaf ratio is going to be a tad different too when burning these things. If you want to keep the flake in tact, dry it 3-5× longer than you would the rubbed out version. Also... if favoring the in tact flake, try it in a pipe with the most open draw possible, your "driest smoker" if you will and see how that affects the flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.