PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The sentence is somewhat contradictory and might give the impression I am undecided, but then I am making a choice, which is the exception that proves the rule. Here I am only trying to convey the idea I had mixed feelings about it due to my previous preconceptions or prejudices about Danish tobacco and aromatics.
I couldn't have said it better myself...but I'm on the fence.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
SG's English Summer Flake is close. Marketing could have named it better, however. It's all Virginia, which might cause some confusion for those looking for an English blend flake.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
SG's English Summer Flake is close. Marketing could have named it better, however. It's all Virginia, which might cause some confusion for those looking for an English blend flake.
An English blend is an English Mixture, that is, a tobacco that is flavoured with other tobaccos and with no toppings. For some reason, "English blend" has come to mean "a Latakia based tobacco," but this should be a Balkan.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Most people don't consider ogs a VaPer, so you aren't necessarily going to like perique because you like ogs. Some people state there's no perique, some state there's so little they can't taste it. It's like how GL Pease adds something like 1 or 2% latakia to some of his blends that people couldn't tell there's lat in it

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
An English blend is an English Mixture, that is, a tobacco that is flavoured with other tobaccos and with no toppings. For some reason, "English blend" has come to mean "a Latakia based tobacco," but this should be a Balkan.
It's actually more complicated than that, Latakia blends are Latakia blends that are not automatically english or balkan, personally I think the labels are stupid, I just smoke what I like.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
It's actually more complicated than that, Latakia blends are Latakia blends that are not automatically english or balkan, personally I think the labels are stupid, I just smoke what I like.
Without labels nobody would know what to expect when buying a blend or a mixture for the first time. Some people hate aromatics, others Balkan tobacco, or VaPers, etc., so if no labels were attached, many of us would end up with the wrong tobacco in our hands.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
That "orange peel" essence in OGS might be a touch of bergamot flavoring. Bergamot is a popular flavoring in Scandinavia and it appears in many different Swedish snus varieties. Also it's what gives Earl Grey tea its character.
Learned something new today. Thanks, Al.
OGS is the blend I'm most likely to give to old time pipe smokers who habitually smoke OTC blends. Everyone I've gifted with these slices reported that they were enjoyed.
Pax

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
OGS is a popular brand for good reason, though if you like it, but aren't crazy about it, then that can lead you down the path to try similar blends and enjoy them as well.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Without labels nobody would know what to expect when buying a blend or a mixture for the first time. Some people hate aromatics, others Balkan tobacco, or VaPers, etc., so if no labels were attached, many of us would end up with the wrong tobacco in our hands.
I agree to an extent, it's just there's no clear consensus of what a balkan blend is.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/what-is-a-balkan-blend/

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I agree to an extent, it's just there's no clear consensus of what a balkan blend is.
Thanks for your comment. I have already read that thread. As I see it:
1. An English Blend is a mixture, that is, any tobacco that only contains tobacco (no toppings or added flavours according to purity laws).

2. A Danish Blend is an aromatic.

3. An American Blend is a blend with virginia, burleys and a topping.

4. A Balkan is an English Mixture with orientals and/or Latakia.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I feel that there should be a "sticky" with the guidelines for each blend. I think it would clarify a lot for newbies and such people that may question a blend.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I feel that there should be a "sticky" with the guidelines for each blend. I think it would clarify a lot for newbies and such people that may question a blend.
But this is like Andy says: there is no consensus.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That "orange peel" essence in OGS might be a touch of bergamot flavoring. Bergamot is a popular flavoring in Scandinavia and it appears in many different Swedish snus varieties. Also it's what gives Earl Grey tea its character.
This was very useful. I never think of this option among the citrus-related flavors.
1. An English Blend is a mixture, that is, any tobacco that only contains tobacco (no toppings or added flavours according to purity laws).

2. A Danish Blend is an aromatic.

3. An American Blend is a blend with virginia, burleys and a topping.

4. A Balkan is an English Mixture with orientals and/or Latakia.
There's also the classic English flavor of MM965, Engine 99, Nightcap, etc. which may not be a blend type so much as a flavor type.
The sentence is somewhat contradictory and might give the impression I am undecided, but then I am making a choice, which is the exception that proves the rule. Here I am only trying to convey the idea I had mixed feelings about it due to my previous preconceptions or prejudices about Danish tobacco and aromatics.
I like the review as is, and here is why: OGS is an excellent tobacco of an unexceptional type, in my view. I have to say "this is my opinion" and "this is only my view" because the internet has not been adults-only since '93 or so. But, Virginia flakes run the risk of being like breakfast cereal: a solid grainy taste that is boring and sweet. People like sweet, and if you have your brain on autopilot because you are busy doing something else, sometimes it is nice to have the tobacco equivalent of sucking on a sugar straw. Ever notice how most Va/Pers taste like oatmeal and raisin, maybe with a little sugar caramelized and stirring in? OGS is like a lemon-orange-apricot flavored Virginia which -- whether it has Perique, Burley, Perique-style Burley, Perigue or another ingredient -- basically tastes like raw bright, sweet Virginia. It is well-done for what it is. I am not particularly motivated toward this type of tobacco as, like aros, I see it as one-dimensional with some added kick to hide that. However, I enjoyed trying out OGS and think it's among the best of this type. Good luck getting anything nailed down more specifically than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.