PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Well I opened my tin of OGS and I loved it! DHF is very lemony and citrusy to my taste while I get a much more prune fruity note in the OGS. I found it to be a bit more complex than DHF with more layerings of flavours and it did change part way through the bowl. While DHF is enjoyable for sure, it is a bit more one dimensional so I think I'm going to use that and the advice in this thread to order OGS over DHF.
Thanks guys!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Regarding the question on comparison to Dunhill Flake: I enjoy both but they are, IMO, two very different tobaccos. I find Dunhill Flake to be darker and more stout; it's not nearly as sweet and citrusy as OGS. For me, Dunhill Flake is more of an after-dinner Virginia whereas OGS is more of an appetizer. While some find much sweetness in DF, I've previously described it as "deep and brooding" (for a VA).

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Funny how different individual tastes are eh Perique? I get almost the exact opposite you do when comparing the two. Mind you my palate is not very refined. Either way both are good tobaccos.

brent

Lurker
Dec 14, 2013
Can anyone tell me if the 100 g tins are all metal? Or are they the cardboard ones with the metal top and bottom? I'm thinking of long term storage.

Thanks in advance for any info.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
They're definitely all metal, and you can somewhat "reseal" them, they have the twist off top.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yup, all metal. I just bought 5 more of the 3.5 oz tins, and have 5 with a year on em, plus a few small square tins. I love the judge.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
OGS is a good warm weather smoke. I enjoy it in on a summer evening or under a shade tree in the afternoon.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Buy a couple racks of 5 , and stick it in the closet. Its dirt cheap, and will be there when you want it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I had a tin of Orlick Red sitting around for about a year, becaue I mistakenly assumed it would be like Frieburg and Treyer Golden Slices, which I didn't like. Well, I was Quite wrong. Turned out to be tastier than Capstan Blue, which is one of my favorite flakes. I like it best cube cut.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I had a tin of Orlick Red sitting around for about a year, becaue I mistakenly assumed it would be like Frieburg and Treyer Golden Slices, which I didn't like. Well, I was Quite wrong. Turned out to be tastier than Capstan Blue, which is one of my favorite flakes. I like it best cube cut
I've been wanting to try the Capstan stuff. I will probably hop on P&C's Va. Flake deal... Orlik, Dunhill, and Capstan gold for $24

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Everyone is saying it's fantastic aged, but I don't think anyone said what it tastes like at that point. Kindly fill me in.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
As the total of my experience is less than one month, you may want to take my post with caution. Alternatively, we all have something to add, so here we go..

OGS and DF are two of the 3 tobaccos I have smoked so far (orlik bullseye being the other). I found the ogs to smell of fermented grass clippings and taste mild with citrus popping in and out. Df to me, tastes sweet and more full than ogs. I like both equally, but they are different beasts to my limited palate.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I actually prefer OGS fresh, rather than aged. To me, as it ages it loses the hay-like characteristics that I very much enjoy from a fresh tin.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I really like OGS. I have been smoking it for some time. The difference between Dunhill Flake and OGS is that OGS has a small percentage of burley in the flakes while DF no burley. The taste between DF and OGS is quite different. I prefer OGS more than DF. However, both are fine flakes.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
your review made me want to crack open my tin right now! but, I must restrain myself

rrollar

Lurker
Sep 14, 2013
Picked me up a tin of this recently and I just love it! Just finished up a bowl just now actually. I find that taking the flake and splitting it up lengthwise and smoking half a flake at a time, really is the perfect amount. A full flake for me at least is a good 30-45 min. bowl. Great all around tobacco for a long day after work or a nightcap.

Status
Not open for further replies.