PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
After just having finished my first bowl of Orlik golden slice, I cant really say it was not enjoyable. I used the fold and stuff method and I had to relight again and again, it was burning very hot very quickly and whenever I breathed the smoke out through my nose i had quite a strange burn/tingling feeling. I was curious, Is this because of the perique?
The tin note and room note were great and i could definitely taste a fruitiness but I just don't think i really enjoyed that slight zesty taste, but perhaps this being my first perique blend it was just that? I guess it was like a very sweet spice (if that's possible?) it was kinda making me feel sick to be honest
The after taste i get is for sure orangy or aprictoy, but i don't think i like that. I'm more of a cherry/berry kinda guy i suppose.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
If you want to fold & stuff then drying it out a bit helps a lot. Half an hour maybe. And don't merely fold. Scrunch it a little to loosen it up before stuffing.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If this is your first VA based tobacco, bear in mind it needs a gentle touch to not "burn very hot". Pit bulls can be sweethearts, but don't kick one. VA is kind of the same way.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Okay ill try that next time too. I forgot to mention also that when i light it the top layer of tobacco turns white almost instantly, that doesn't seem to happen on any other blend?

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
I will look into how to cube it then. And i only have smoked Virginia based blends actually

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The instant white ashy layer is because OGS is not heavily impregnated with humectants. It is a good thing.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Oh i see, haha, well good good!
I think i tamp too much and relight too often to be honest as well, ill put my hands up

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The three blends you got in your sampler are actually burley based. Half & Half may still have some claim to a VA (bright) component, but I am sceptical of that, to say the least! Burleys are generally a bit more mild mannered than a VA flake. Definitely check out cube cutting, it cuts down on the re-lights, if nothing more.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Oh okay will do, and yeah i didn't continue to smoke them, i have been smoking mainly 1q, frog mortons cellar and capt. black dark

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
I have been thoroughly enjoying them and the frog is growing on me more and more each bowl

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
OGS is one of my favorite tobaccos right now and I have been smoking it a good bit this summer. With your description of bowl to hot and feeling sick if I were to guess you may be smoking it to fast. I always fold and stuff which is what you did so I am familiar with the way it burns when using this technique. Then I do 2 or 3 char lights with matches then light off with a Zippo always being sure not to inhale / draw the flame of match or lighter deeper than the char layer so not to over heat the bowl. Thats really were thing go wrong for a lot of guys once they start sucking that flame deep into the bowl it creates steam then from that point on unless you stop and let the pipe cool down the smoking experience will be a bad one..After my char light I'm usually good with a steady burn till about 1/4 of the bowl and again to about half way point . I look at it like so what If I relight its not a contest to see if I can smoke with out relight this is supposed be be relaxing. As for the burn or tingle in your nose.. well if it's really a burn feeling.. again I'd say the bowl is to hot....tingle mmm yeah I guess I get that some times I think I get that sensation more with a navy flake than with OGS but yeah you'll get that feeling. With that all said give OGS another go and I hope this may help u

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Thankyou ember, yes I'm not giving up on it just yet. I think the first time i smoke any new blend i always end up puffing too quickly coz I'm excited for the flavours and such. Counter productive though haha

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've been smoking a pipe for a good 5 years now and I've folded and stuffed a flake maybe twice, and both times it didn't make for a pleasent experience. I'm a firm believer in "if in doubt rub it out" and cube cutting.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I personally can't handle virginias. On a whim one day I purchased a tin of OGS. I actually smoked the whole tin, without changing blends.

I'm wondering if it was the perique that made me like it so much?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm wondering if it was the perique that made me like it so much?
If you would like to explore that route, try Luxury Bullseye Flake or Escudo. Both very good VaPers.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Man, the OGS is super legit. So far, in my admittedly short pipe smoking career, it is easily my favorite non-aromatic, and I prefer it by a wide margin to the couple of Latakia blends I have tried.
Last night was the first bowl of it that I smoked where I rubbed it all the way out. I was super thorough about it. It's just a really lovely tobacco. I haven't had any trouble on the retrohale, and tongue bite is not much of an issue for me coming from cigs and cigars, though the Virginia does burn pretty hot. The last 3rd of my bowl of OGS last night had a very delicious, almost orangeish flavor to it that I hadn't noticed before. Just tremendous.
If anyone has any suggestions for similar blends to the OGS, I'd appreciate it. Particularly if the suggestions are bulks, since I can always justify an ounce or two of bulks, but tins hit the wallet a bit harder.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
+1 on escudo recommendation. OGS is a staple and I have many tins and a dedicated pipe to it. Nothing else goes in that pipe except a cleaner.
My personal recommendation for you is try Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.