PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

birddogpiper

Lurker
Apr 18, 2020
I thought I'd give my thoughts on my favorite blend: Orlik Golden Sliced. I'm pretty familiar with this tobacco already, but I'm smoking a bowl of it as I write in case something new jumps out. My hope is that the reviewing process allows me to focus on my smokes better, maybe one day I'll be able to identify half the flavors some of you guys can. With that, I'll get right into it.

Right when I open the tin, the first thing that hits me is the scent of raisins. To me its a similar profile to red man chew, but not nearly as sweet. Freshly cut grass and citrus come to mind too, although neither of these sticks out to me as much as the raisin scent. Behind that I get a slight hint of darker fruit, something like a plum or a fig. In short, it smells good enough to eat. Being that I used to (and still occasionally) chew, I actually tried chewing a flake of this stuff. Not as sweet as I expected, but it had tons of nicotine and a pretty good feel in the mouth. Could see it being a pretty decent snuff too.

The first light stays true to the tin note--grassy, sweet, citrusy and sharp. The sharpness isn't off putting in the slightest. In fact, I find it really pleasant. It usually takes a couple cycles of lighting and tamping for me to get it going good. Once it's going it seems to require an average number of relights. Nothing you have to pay close attention to, but also not quite as forgiving as something like Prince Albert or Lane 1-Q.

Shortly after the initial light, the flavors change slightly. The piquant, citrusy tang gives way to a slightly creamy, bread type of taste. The words yeasty and malty come to mind as well. This isn't to say the citrus is no longer present, just that it is now more of a component to the flavor rather than the dominating factor. As with the other Virginias I've tried, the flavors can change quite a bit depending on how hot you smoke it. Rather than "sip" this tobacco as I usually see suggested, I tend to vary my cadence over the course of the bowl. This isn't something I try to do, just something I've noticed. When it's sipped, the flavors are softer, smoother, and more fragrant. The retrohale on a puff of barely-smoldering OGS is heavenly. Grass, bread and oranges all the way. When smoked a bit hotter, the bread flavor subsides and the flavor and mouthfeel both get sharper. If you puff recklessly (as I sometimes do), you might get some rubbing alcohol flavors out of it. Not enjoyable but also not too difficult to avoid. A big plume of this stuff through the nose brings you notes of sour lemon, burnt sugar and pepper.

As I approach the end of the bowl, the flavors continue to go in the direction of bread. The tingle is still present, but now more subdued and in kind of a peppery way (even when sipped). Something almost reminiscent of baby powder comes through too. It's better than it sounds.

All in all, I have very little bad to say about this tobacco. Tastes great, burns good, just complex enough to be interesting while also not requiring too much attention to enjoy. Easily the most versatile blend I've smoked. On top of that, it's readily available and cheap. Doesn't get much better than that.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Good review! OGS is a classic. There are certainly better vapers out there but its a simple, bread and butter staple. If you like vapers, give these a try. Some are easier to find than others:

Rattrays Old Gowrie
Rattrays Marlin Flake
Esoterica Dunbar
Esoterica Dorchester
Dan Tobacco Salty dogs
Russ Ouellette Firestorm

Peter Heinrich’s curly block (available at smokingpipes.com now, only shows up a couple times a year).

HU Louisiana Broken
HU Directors Cut
Peterson Navy Rolls
GL Pease Penny Farthing
Sutliff Match Victorian (Elizabethan)
Samuel Gawith Cabbie’s Mixture
Samuel Gawith St. James Flake

Last edited:

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1 for OGS. A timeless blend for sure. I love it, and have cellared it deep. It doesn't hurt that it's cheap too!

I'll also throw a vote in for Penny Farthing, but not a simple blend, imo. Quite a complex melange but delicious.
Reiner and Heinrichs are also top favorites, as is Aylesbury Classic Flake and McConnell London Shag (both of which are harder to find).

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I thought I'd give my thoughts on my favorite blend: Orlik Golden Sliced. I'm pretty familiar with this tobacco already, but I'm smoking a bowl of it as I write in case something new jumps out. My hope is that the reviewing process allows me to focus on my smokes better, maybe one day I'll be able to identify half the flavors some of you guys can. With that, I'll get right into it.

Right when I open the tin, the first thing that hits me is the scent of raisins. To me its a similar profile to red man chew, but not nearly as sweet. Freshly cut grass and citrus come to mind too, although neither of these sticks out to me as much as the raisin scent. Behind that I get a slight hint of darker fruit, something like a plum or a fig. In short, it smells good enough to eat. Being that I used to (and still occasionally) chew, I actually tried chewing a flake of this stuff. Not as sweet as I expected, but it had tons of nicotine and a pretty good feel in the mouth. Could see it being a pretty decent snuff too.

The first light stays true to the tin note--grassy, sweet, citrusy and sharp. The sharpness isn't off putting in the slightest. In fact, I find it really pleasant. It usually takes a couple cycles of lighting and tamping for me to get it going good. Once it's going it seems to require an average number of relights. Nothing you have to pay close attention to, but also not quite as forgiving as something like Prince Albert or Lane 1-Q.

Shortly after the initial light, the flavors change slightly. The piquant, citrusy tang gives way to a slightly creamy, bread type of taste. The words yeasty and malty come to mind as well. This isn't to say the citrus is no longer present, just that it is now more of a component to the flavor rather than the dominating factor. As with the other Virginias I've tried, the flavors can change quite a bit depending on how hot you smoke it. Rather than "sip" this tobacco as I usually see suggested, I tend to vary my cadence over the course of the bowl. This isn't something I try to do, just something I've noticed. When it's sipped, the flavors are softer, smoother, and more fragrant. The retrohale on a puff of barely-smoldering OGS is heavenly. Grass, bread and oranges all the way. When smoked a bit hotter, the bread flavor subsides and the flavor and mouthfeel both get sharper. If you puff recklessly (as I sometimes do), you might get some rubbing alcohol flavors out of it. Not enjoyable but also not too difficult to avoid. A big plume of this stuff through the nose brings you notes of sour lemon, burnt sugar and pepper.

As I approach the end of the bowl, the flavors continue to go in the direction of bread. The tingle is still present, but now more subdued and in kind of a peppery way (even when sipped). Something almost reminiscent of baby powder comes through too. It's better than it sounds.

All in all, I have very little bad to say about this tobacco. Tastes great, burns good, just complex enough to be interesting while also not requiring too much attention to enjoy. Easily the most versatile blend I've smoked. On top of that, it's readily available and cheap. Doesn't get much better than that.
Thanks for this. I've noticed the flavor changed to bready about midway through too. I enjoy the first half, but the second much more.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Very nice review! I do not regard OGS as a VaPer at all. It's like having a large sack of popcorn and adding 4 grains of salt. I don't even detect the perique unless I look hard for it. Some people really diss this blend and I don't understand that (although I do because taste is personal). I really enjoy it as a morning blend and when it gets some age, it is awesome. I will say with a lot of age, the Virginia is so sublime, the spiciness of the perique shines through a bit more.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Excellent review! This was my first VA-based blend and flake and I sure enjoyed it back when I used to smoke it on the regular. I can remember instantly being able to identify the sweetness and other VA elements I'd heard about from others which made it a perfect introduction to the genre for me. It's been a while since I had any so I guess I should add a tin to my next order. One great thing about this bend is that despite it's quality it is affordable and always available.

Reactions: birddogpiper

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Great review!

This is the first VA where I learned to slow down and smoke cool, it was an amazing experience when I got it and had the moment of “wow! I can taste that!” It quickly became my favorite warm weather/summer smoke!

birddogpiper

Lurker
Apr 18, 2020
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna try to start doing reviews regularly. Capstan Gold is next on my list but if anyone has a suggestion feel free to let me know.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Interesting what Hoosier said. A couple of weeks ago I finished up a leftover jar of OGS that had been put up back in mid-2013. Back when it was young I didn't find anything remarkable about it. I certainly didn't notice any perique. However, after 6 1/2 years it was noticeably sweeter and the perique was much more detectable. I also had some 6 year old St. James Flake. To me the OGS was sweeter and a more preferable smoke. Probably wouldn't be too many that would agree with that statement. So it may be a good idea to stock up on OGS and let it age several years before opening. It's cheaper, more available, and in my opinion was a better smoke than SJF.

Status
Not open for further replies.