PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
In 21 years of pipe smoking I have somehow never tried OGS until now. I really love it! I smoked it from a fresh tin and am wondering how it holds up with some age. I'm not really looking to age it but to cellar it without it losing the characteristics that I enjoy, particularly the citrus element. Any thoughts?
In my rather limited experience with it, I didn’t find a huge difference between fresh to about two years old. I actually just popped a tin a few days ago, that is something like a year and a half old, and it’s still good and citrus-y. I can’t help you with anything older than a couple of years, but I hope it stays pretty close to the fresh stuff.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I really dislike this blend when fresh. With 15 plus years it is big winner.
I never cellared it because I found blends that were much better when fresh. For example, Capstan Blue Flake was great to smoke no matter how many years it had on it. Same with Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake and others. I had no desire to buy the Orlik and let it sit for 10 plus years. Other blends great when fresh were Dunhill Flake, Wessex Brown Virginia Flake, Brigham Klondike Gold.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Last summer I opened a fresh tin and a 10 year old tin side by side to address your question. The citrus was noticeably more prominent in the fresh tin. Still there in the aged one but for my tastes a little better behaved. Don't get me wrong, I finished the fresh tin but will be stashing any new tins away for awhile and smoking the older stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.