PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Part of the dark fired new wave. Some of these trends fall flat, but having sampled the Mac Baren flake, I think dark fired is here to stay as a staple of many variations and blends. It has depth and resonance. If you like full strength tobacco, and tolerate burley, these are mighty satisfying. Now the comparisons begin. I suspect many of these blends will end up longstanding favorites. I don't necessarily follow the crowd, but in this case, I may follow the crowd. I see one or more of these in my rotation.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yes I have noticed the recent rave of dark fired kentuckys. I Did just have a bowl of heinrichs dark strong and my does it taste like black licorice.

mdre0b

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
I just placed an order last night and decided to pass on the Orlik tin special because the DSK was back ordered. Oh well.

lunchie

Lurker
Feb 16, 2015
I think its good but I don't think I will reorder it until the craziness dies down around it. If I bought a bunch right now, it would just be me hording it for the sake of hording. I know its not apples to apples but I prefer McClellands Dark Navy Flake and its much easier to get. Just my opinion, Cheers!

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
The taste and body of PH or MB Dark Strong should not be compared to the "Dark Fired" blends. Neither is anywhere near their strength or nic content. A whole different animal.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I Did just have a bowl of heinrichs dark strong and my does it taste like black licorice.
A number of reviews of Peterson Irish Flake (another burley-based flake with a dark-fired component) claim it has an anise (licorice) flavor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.