PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I wonder if there are some Dunhill collectors who have had this problem with NOS inner tube pipes. Or is it helpful to refridgerate/ thaw repeatedly

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I'm trying pretty hard beefeater but worried the tenon will snap, I've snapped tenons this way before

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I'm trying to figure out a way to pour rubbing alcohol into the bowl so it gets into the draft hole on the sides of the aluminum tube. Don't want to soak the bowl coating more than I have to

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Also, apply a thin coat of Vaseline to the finish to protect it. I doubt it will hurt and it might protect it from incidental over flow. Just a pain to work with....

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
jp, but since its an aluminum tube, the alcohol wouldn't be reaching the tenon at all

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have had the same problem with an unused old stock Orlik shape 17 with a tube.

I put it in the freezer,but was to impapient so the tenon broke.
Just take your time.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Jp yeah I think it might be the tube but wouldnt the alcohol only be touching the inside of the tube. Still worth a try for sure
Manman, how can I apply flame to the tube?
Jensen, what do you think I should do?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You could try an isopropyl alcohol soaked cleaner, inserted, hopefully all the way into the bowl.

Then, use an eye-dropper to put some more alcohol in the bowl. perhaps the cleaner will wick it up into the aluminum tube area.

The thing to avoid is alcohol seeping out between the tenon and stem, that ruin the finish, so you'd have to proceed carefully.

I seriously doubt the sticking stem is because of the aluminum tube, but the alcohol would also free up the stem.

As long as no alcohol is on the finish, you won't do the bowl any harm.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
No, I gave up for a while. I have a new freezer that has a super cold setting so I am going to give it try for an hour in there

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
"Son, back in my day we couldn't afford fancy Dunhills and whatnot. One time, we put an Orlik the freezer for 9 months just so we could get the stem unstuck."

Status
Not open for further replies.