PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
Title edited for caps and clarity. Original:

"Orientals spoil everything I smoke after"

It's like a mouth ghosting thing. Lately, when I smoke something with orientals on it, I get a sweet and metallic taste that I don't really like. But two things seem even funnier: It first happened with a blend I used to love, Hu's Soraya. And I keep on tasting the same thing even if I leave that pipe aside and light another with a Va/Per or even have a Toscano cigar. It's somewhat frustrating.

It has nothing to do with pipe ghosting, of that I'm sure. It happened with at least these blends: Hu's Khoisaan, Hu's Soraya and C&D's Penny Farthing. I'm counting here latakia as an oriental as it's the only one present in Khoisaan. I haven't smoked any other latakia blends in the last years.

Has someone experienced something similar? Is there an explanation? For now, I think I'm going to avoid orientals and maybe try them again in a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
May not be orientals at all as the blends you mentioned all have Perique.
But It doesn't happen when I smoke Vapers. In fact, at first I thought it was latakia, as it happened first with Khoisaan. But then the other blends gave the same results. The weird thing is that at least Soraya seemed to me a great blend some months ago.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
It's like a mouth ghosting thing. Lately, when I smoke something with orientals on it, I get a sweet and metallic taste that I don't really like. But two things seem even funnier: It first happened with a blend I used to love, Hu's Soraya. And I keep on tasting the same thing even if I leave that pipe aside and light another with a Va/Per or even have a Toscano cigar. It's somewhat frustrating.

It has nothing to do with pipe ghosting, of that I'm sure. It happened with at least these blends: Hu's Khoisaan, Hu's Soraya and C&D's Penny Farthing. I'm counting here latakia as an oriental as it's the only one present in Khoisaan. I haven't smoked any other latakia blends in the last years.

Has someone experienced something similar? Is there an explanation? For now, I think I'm going to avoid orientals and maybe try them again in a few months.
PennyFarthing has Dark Fired, but no orientals.
Interesting as I have some Soraya coming (should be today).

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
PennyFarthing has Dark Fired, but no orientals.
Interesting as I have some Soraya coming (should be today).
Thank you! I really thought it had some. Now I don't know what to think...
I really liked Soraya and even stacked some at first. But then this started to happen. I used to think that the blend had changed with airing, but then I got the same sensations with the other two blends.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Thank you! I really thought it had some. Now I don't know what to think...
I really liked Soraya and even stacked some at first. But then this started to happen. I used to think that the blend had changed with airing, but then I got the same sensations with the other two blends.
Do you smoke a wide variety of blends?
Wide variety of pipes?
Could it be a particular pipe?

Reactions: Yambo

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
Could be a strange reaction to a casing? Or other chemical?

When you dry them near crispy how are they?

Edit: someone gonna come in here and blame red VA?
It could be. I don't know, maybe I need to dry them near crispy but dry pretty well my tobacco always.

And why red VA?

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
Do you smoke a wide variety of blends?
Wide variety of pipes?
Could it be a particular pipe?
Mostly Vas and Vapers, and I always alternate between some 20 jarred blends plus the odd sampler from a friend.
I don't think it's the pipe. I have a pretty good rotation. Anyway, what bugs me is the persistence through the rest of the smoking sessions, even when it's a cigar.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
It could be. I don't know, maybe I need to dry them near crispy but dry pretty well my tobacco always.

And why red VA?
There are many people who have sensitivities to red Virginia, for various reasons I guess.

I was going to mention it too, that's why I asked how many blends you smoke. Seems unlikely if you don't have problems with other blends.

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
Yeah, I guess it's funny... :P But the fact remains that it's the same sensation with all three tobaccos. My hunch is that it's something physiological. I'll give it time I guess...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA

You need to get your brain to a stroke center, Pronto!

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I personally find orientals quite strong, flavorwise, and it is a flavor that lingers. It will certainly ghost a pipe, and it is a ghosts that persists for some time. If I smoke a bowl with a lot of izmir, I'm going to be aware of it, taste it and smell it now and then, for the rest of the day--no matter what else I'm smoking, even if it's something fairly strong. For me this is not unpleasant, but it is to be expected. And if I've smoked anything with even a little latakia in it--all of the above is doubly true. There are the intense smoke flavors on top of the oriental flavors. So most of what you're saying seems pretty normal, by my standards.

Reactions: vosBghos and Yambo

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I find that no matter what I smoke, my sense of taste is altered for up to a few hours after, and usually in fairly consistent ways.

I also smoke Camel Menthol Wide cigarettes, they're a "turkish and domestic blend". If I smoke a VA, then afterwards, the cigarettes are sweeter. If I smoke a burley, then after I can taste more of the added cocoa flavoring they use in them. If I smoke something heavy on orientals, the cigarettes later taste more floral. This is all speaking very generally.

For me, these taste changes don't last that long. How long they last and how strong they are depends on the blend. I usually have my pipe around 3:00 in the afternoon. By the time dinner rolls around about 6:00, my taste is usually back to normal unless it was a super strong (taste) blend. I should note though, I retrohale pretty heavily and I have taken to smoking a little wetter than when I first started.

I love orientals and they never result in a metallic aftertaste for me though, but everyone is different. I would imagine something that could happen is various taste receptors in the nose could be temporarily becoming either more or less sensitive to certain flavors.