PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
My list is: GL Pease Cairo, Peretti Tashkent, Gawith Skiff Mixture, McConnell Oriental, and Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
A new favorite of mine is GLP Kensington. Excellent blend. Pease, in general makes great blends of this type. Even Abingdon which he says is his most Latakia-heavy blend, is nowhere near a Lat-bomb to my tastes.
Balkan Supreme is excellent as well. I am thinking of the Stokkebye/Arango version. Not sure if that's the same as Iwan Ries' or not. May be a bit more Latakia-forward than you're looking for, but it's a very spicy, tasty blend at a super reasonable price.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
To my knowledge the Iwan Ries Balkan Supreme is the PS/Arango stuff. A great recommendation also. A great blend for the price in my opinion.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I had this thread in mind this afternoon- cold and rainy and perfect for Samarra. I cracked a tin from 2000 and although the older tall and skinny GLP tins don’t always hold up, this one did. This blend, particularly with some age to let the Latakia fade and the VA’s and orientals develop, is an absolute masterpiece.
0462cba4-bac9-4164-8ba8-d713e5685fc0-600x450.jpg

Reactions: john19

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Strangely, I was just smoking a bowl of King Charles Mixture about the time oldgeezersmoker posted. I had probably not gone back to this blend for about a year (so much tobacco, so little time) and geezer is absolutely correct. It is an exact match to the OP’s description. Unfortunately, I have not seen any available since I set back a few tins about a year ago :(

Oct 7, 2016
[/quote]Strangely, I was just smoking a bowl of King Charles Mixture about the time oldgeezersmoker posted. I had probably not gone back to this blend for about a year (so much tobacco, so little time) and geezer is absolutely correct. It is an exact match to the OP’s description. Unfortunately, I have not seen any available since I set back a few tins about a year ago
More like the old Presbyterian pre Planta, or at least my memories of it, than anything I have found. It was briefly available last year, late summer or or early fall as I recall. I had smoked it years ago, so when it came around then, I loaded up the wagon and sprung for the quantity limits all over the net. I expect it to be available again within a few months, so set your traps, guys.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Lots of good reccys here. I'll add one just because it's available: Dan Tobacco Midnight Ride is pretty nice, more oriental than latakia (ironsides if you want latakia).

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
Thanks a lot! There’s definitely a few here I wasn’t aware of, or only knew by name only. Lots to sample!

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Had a bowl of Star of The East Gold last night. It was very good, lots of orientals followed by the virginias and just a tiny smattering of latakia. I think it will get better with some cellar time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is nice stuff: (from tobacco reviews.com)
Peter Stokkebye's classic blend, English Oriental Supreme, brings together the finest mellow Georgian Virginias, Black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprus Latakia, while evoking an exotic flair uniquely its own.
This distinctively non-aromatic blend produces an astonishing array of refined flavors ranging from mild to medium strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.