PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Lawmakers meet to discuss bill that would ban flavored tobacco products, business owners feel the heat - https://www.kezi.com/news/lawmakers-meet-to-discuss-bill-that-would-ban-flavored-tobacco-products-business-owners-feel-the/article_1c001e00-c859-11ed-a6a4-870bd7bee3bf.html

There are no exceptions in this bill for pipe tobacco, and since all pipe tobacco can be considered "flavored", this is effectively a ban on pipe tobacco. Like most legislation in Oregon now, this bill is also being submitted under the "emergency" clause, which means it takes effect immediately when it is passed, not Jan. 2024 as stated in the article.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Clarification here. If the bill goes through. I want to understand its implications. Meaning will it prevent stores selling pipe tobacco? Will it also prevent tobacco ordered online being able to be shipped here? Thanks for any answers

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
C&D makes several tobaccos that don't have casings. But really, casings will not be included. They never are. So, sorry if I don't join in with the moaning, foot stomping, or flailing of arms. Because, of course... none of that EVER gets anything done.
I hope you're right, but I wouldn't count on it. I'll be stocking up before this bill passes.

Since you don't live in Oregon I wouldn't expect any moaning, foot stomping, flailing of arms, teeth gnashing, fist clenching, eye bulging, or pants wetting from you, and you won't find any of that from me either. This was posted for informational purposes.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Last night I tasted and smelled C&D’s Autumn Evening for the first time.

If they sold that under a bagged economy label as Maple Cavendish, it might come under a flavored tobacco ban.

But even Marlboro Reds and Camel Filters are flavored, with sugar or corn syrup and who knows what sauces they use for brand identity.

It would be ironic somehow if Cult Blood Red Moon was not banned and Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish was.

Will there be a board of taste testers for tobacco products in Oregon?

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Clarification here. If the bill goes through. I want to understand its implications. Meaning will it prevent stores selling pipe tobacco? Will it also prevent tobacco ordered online being able to be shipped here? Thanks for any answers
As written, it's a complete ban on the sale of all flavored tobacco products with the specific exception of cannabis flavored products. There are no other exceptions.

As far as shipping goes, I'd be surprised if any retailers would risk running afoul of the law by selling to Oregon residents, but I guess we will see how it plays out. Based on my experience with other banned products I wouldn't count on being able to get shipments once this passes.

Reactions: wyfbane and pcfdave

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Last night I tasted and smelled C&D’s Autumn Evening for the first time.

If they sold that under a bagged economy label as Maple Cavendish, it might come under a flavored tobacco ban.

But even Marlboro Reds and Camel Filters are flavored, with sugar or corn syrup and who knows what sauces they use for brand identity.

It would be ironic somehow if Cult Blood Red Moon was not banned and Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish was.

Will there be a board of taste testers for tobacco products in Oregon?
Anything that isn't straight tobacco flavored or cannabis flavored will be banned based on how the bill is written.

Reactions: pcfdave

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Lawmakers meet to discuss bill that would ban flavored tobacco products, business owners feel the heat - https://www.kezi.com/news/lawmakers-meet-to-discuss-bill-that-would-ban-flavored-tobacco-products-business-owners-feel-the/article_1c001e00-c859-11ed-a6a4-870bd7bee3bf.html

There are no exceptions in this bill for pipe tobacco, and since all pipe tobacco can be considered "flavored", this is effectively a ban on pipe tobacco. Like most legislation in Oregon now, this bill is also being submitted under the "emergency" clause, which means it takes effect immediately when it is passed, not Jan. 2024 as stated in the article.
So upsetting man.. I live in Oregon for its natural beauty but my goodness is it getting crazy here..

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Anything that isn't straight tobacco flavored or cannabis flavored will be banned based on how the bill is written.

I think we all can understand why the do gooders in Oregon have issues with about ninety per cent of the vapes being a bunch of flavors like peppermint, strawberry, and cotton candy.

They have no intention of banning Marlboros or Camels, or for that matter Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Sir Walther Raleigh, or Captain Black.

And ironically, the do gooders actually are usually for cannabis, for medicinal purposes at least, for a friend of a friend that has medical issues.:)

It might be that all Middleton's Cherry Blend has to do is repackage their product as Middleton's Famous Blend, to avoid the ban.

And Pallidin's Blackcherry might become Pallidin's Black.

Unless they have some kind of panel of do gooders tasting those tobacco products, they are pretty well going to rely on the manufacturer's label of whether or not it's flavored.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I think we all can understand why the do gooders in Oregon have issues with about ninety per cent of the vapes being a bunch of flavors like peppermint, strawberry, and cotton candy.

They have no intention of banning Marlboros or Camels, or for that matter Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Sir Walther Raleigh, or Captain Black.

And ironically, the do gooders actually are usually for cannabis, for medicinal purposes at least, for a friend of a friend that has medical issues.:)

It might be that all Middleton's Cherry Blend has to do is repackage their product as Middleton's Famous Blend, to avoid the ban.

Unless they have some kind of panel of do gooders tasting those tobacco products, they are pretty well going to rely on the manufacturer's label of whether or not it's flavored.
Hopefully your insight is accurate my man. We can only hope.. well that and contact our legislators.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast

If they only wanted to ban flavored vapes, they would do that. If they had no intention of banning pipe tobacco, they would create an exemption for it like they did for cannabis. That isn't the case.

As for rebranding or attempting to skirt around the law, I doubt it will be attempted, but we'll see. I'm certainly not counting on it.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I just read through the bill, it excludes pipe tobaccos, as well as ciagarettes and other tobaccos. It's framed to wipe out vaping.
From the bill description:

"Prohibits distributing, selling, attempting to sell or allowing to be sold flavored inhalant delivery system product or flavored tobacco product in this state. Defines “flavored inhalant delivery system product” and “flavored tobacco product.”
Declares emergency, effective on passage."

In fact, it specifically includes pipe tobacco under the definition of tobacco product.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
My friend is a cigar shop owner and he doesn’t believe it will affect online businesses ability to ship orders to Oregon. For what it’s worth
I really hope so, but I'm not optimistic. I my previous experiences dealing with products under state level bans, online retailers generally cease sales to those states to avoid any potential legal issues.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I get that the point of this is to stop "the children" from smoking flavored cigars like Swishers, White Owls, and Black & Milds, along with vaping as it's definitely a problem. Not sure why kids want to smoke those flavored cigars, but apparently some do. I don't think its as big a problem as our lawmakers do, but vaping is definitely a problem. I have twins that are almost 17, and are in high school. There are a ton of kids vaping in the schools, so I can understand the law to a point. It would be nice if the powers at be would actually be more specific with their language instead of using general or vague language. All it does is create confusion and hurts adults that enjoy these products. Hopefully they get the details worked out before they actually pass the law.

As I live in Washington State, WA and OR seem to mirror one another a lot of when it comes to passing legislation, so we'll see what WA does in the future. Though I like to think WA is smarter than OR, that's not saying a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.