Ordering From L.J. Peretti: What Should I Try?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Ropp Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
3 Fresh Luiz Lavos Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
3 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I'd be more than happy with those 2oz tins,here in England we only get the cheaper than cheap plastic pouches. BTW what a gem of a tobacco store perettis appears to be. 'Proper old school'. If I lived nearby, I'd be in all the time.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"...what a gem of a tobacco store perettis appears to be. 'Proper old school'. If I lived nearby, I'd be in all the time."
Agree

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Simon, you'd scarcely believe what we pay to import your pouches! Yes, Peretti's is worth a visit. You should make a point of coming for Holiday.

Dec 24, 2012
I enjoy the brusque attitude at Peretti. It is part of the Boston charm.
I enjoy several of their blends, including No. 8 slices, Park Square and Smith's Own.
The 8 oz tins are only available for 8 oz or 1 lb orders.
By the way, Somerset Slices are unfortunately no more (or at least that's what they told me).

Reactions: labrax

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Hello all, I thought I would post a few thoughts about each blend as I make my way through my samples.
My package arrived fairly quickly, with each 1 oz sample sealed in a plastic bag emblazoned with the L.J. Peretti logo. I decided to work my way through each blend in turn to fully appreciate each blend in its own right.
I started with Blend #100. The supplied description reads: "A medium strength, slow burning, cool and aromatic blend of delightful flavor and aroma". This doesn't tell you much about the blend, but I read elsewhere it's one of their oldest mixtures, and is distinctly in the "old-time aromatic" genre.
In the bag, it appears to be an all burley mixture of mostly cubed or plug-cut leaf. The smell in the bag was...different. Floral notes intermixed with spices and maybe a little vanilla? I've never knowingly smoked a blend containing deer tongue, but I wonder if there's some in here.
The blend lights and burns very well. Taking the first few puffs, I was taken aback - I had tasted these flavors before, both in the ghosts of old estate pipes, and later in some of the Iwan Ries house blends. The burley tobacco flavor is clear, but a distinct, cool, "floral vanilla" note is present throughout. At times, the aroma of fresh-cut roses seems to emerge, only to disappear after a few puffs. At other times, I get a distinct vanilla note from the tobacco. Frankly, it's difficult to describe, but if you've ever tasted it, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Though I've never tried it, I'm reminded to descriptions of Wilke's "Royal Scot" and other aromatics that dominated before the Cavendish Craze.
I like blend 100. It's unique, and from another time - evocative of old-fashioned barbershops, front parlors, and soda counters. Will I be ordering an 8 oz. paint-can? Probably not, but I'm enjoying the sample while it lasts.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
and from another time

I get this impression from a lot of their stuff, which is by no means derogatory.
With 50 lbs of Peretti in his cellar, Peck shouldn't have to say the password!

You're right. Perhaps "safe word" would be more fitting. Can't have them breaking their backs to fulfill just his orders, can they?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A "safe word" would be what someone says when in the grips of hopeless PAD/TAD and needs help.
I wouldn't mind those tins. Bulk is by definition not going to come in sealed tins.
This Peretti's blend looks appealing to me:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/864/peretti-blend-no500

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
(BTW - the secret password is "Ehrlich's is best!" Be sure to tell them that as soon as they answer the phone.)

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
OK I can't stop smoking the Cuban.

chacom-0116-600x448.jpg

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
OK I can't stop smoking the Cuban.
It's some good stuff. Friend of mine went to Boston a few weeks ago. He was given explicit instructions to get me a lb. of Cuban Mixture. I very clearly explained it is much like the soup Nazi. Walk to the counter, know what you want, request, move down to the register. Do not look up, do not laugh, no small talk.
My instructions were heeded... and he wound up with a 20 minute history lesson in Peretti tobacco, lol.

Reactions: labrax

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
In December I purchased some of Peretti's annual Holiday blend, "Yuletide" (absolutely fabulous BTW!). The tobacco came in a plastic bag inside of a non-sealed tin. I had E-mailed them to ask if the tins were suitable for long-term storage and they answered, "No". When it arrived, I immediately transferred the blend to Mason jars. Looks like they're still using the tins...

I've always had great service from Peretti's and will continue to order from them. Having lived in Boston for a short while, I also find the brusqueness part of the charm. If you're straight up with the folks there, you'll always be treated fairly.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Back again to post a few thoughts about the next blend on my list - Oriental #40.
From the supplied description: "A blend entirely made of tobaccos from the Near East. It has richness and full flavor."
Like most of the tobaccos I received from Peretti's, this blend came a little on the dry side, which is perfect for smoking directly from the pouch. From the description, I believe this blend contains no Virginia or Cavendish, and this is confirmed by both the pouch note and the smoke.
What a delightful blend! Light, peppery and dry on the palate, it reminds me of why I love Balkan blends and other oriental mixtures. The incense-like note is strong, and present throughout the bowl. Many of my favorite Balkan blends deliver that note on occasion, but Oriental #40 supplies it throughout. There are no Virginias in the blend, and as a consequence, there is no sweetness here, and also very little heat or bite. The blend remains cool to the bottom, and leaves my palate feeling refreshed.
On a side note, I smoked a bowl this morning, and then brewed a pot of strong dark-roasted coffee. My first few sips tasted just like Turkish Coffee! Perhaps it was a psychosomatic effect, with thoughts of the near-east swirling around. However, I was so taken aback, and the flavor was so distinct, I don't think it was merely "in my head". If you have the blend on hand, give this a try and let me know what you think.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I just noticed the shelf reinforcement in Mr. Peck's cellar cabinet. I am certain the cabinet appreciates it.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I've since moved on to sample "Belmont" and "Boston's Best Cavendish". I think they do an excellent job with aromatic mixtures, and the flavorings are skillfully applied. Neither blend has bowled me over, but they're both solid, flavorful (and surprisingly creamy) aromatic blends. I may sit on these until the summer, since I stick to the lighter blends when the weather gets hot.
Still in queue:
D-7485

Blend #300

Cuban Mixture

Tashkent

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
That's how I feel about a lot of their blends, GT; good but not fantastic. I do still have lots to try as they claim to have 250,000 blends.............. 8O

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Good times ahead...
Cuban Mixture (their hundred-year old blend), plus Tashkent (no VAs) might just bowl you over.

Status
Not open for further replies.