Ordered A Pouch of Carter Hall for the First Time.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I have been ordering as many tins as I have been able to afford, while keeping my spending below the wife radar. I just put in another small order, but threw in a pouch of Carter Hall to try out. I've never tried an OTC blend. I am strangely looking forward to giving it a go, though not as much as the tin of Quiet Nights that's was ordered with it. I heard that CH is a good blend to break pipes in with? Any of you guys have experience with this? I have been breaking my pipes in with my usual va/pers.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Somebody recently sent me a sample that smoked the other day. I was pleasantly surprised. A bit on the sweet/sugary side, but enjoyable. It burned well.
It's pretty mild and I can see some guys smoking this as an all day blend. I like something with a little more distinctive taste for my once or twice a day bowl, but this stuff is okay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Carter Hall breaks pipes in just fine, but rubbed-out Orlik Golden Sliced is my preference. It seems to build a better-quality carbon layer just as quickly.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Carter Hall is a good, straight-forward smoke. My only complaint is that it burns a little fast. Other than that, I don't mind smoking it one bit. I keep a tub in my truck at all times and turn to it pretty often.
Yes it's good for breaking in new pipes. But like aldecaker, I personally tend to use Orlik Golden Sliced to break in my briars.
More importantly, CH is widely renowned for it's de-ghosting abilities. A few bowls of it will remove just about any unwanted ghost from any pipe.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
For those that care, I got to experience Carter Hall's room note recently when a friend loaded some from my pouch. It's delightful: a really sweet warm molasses smell filled the room. It smells like a pipe should.

pappap

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2016
I like Carter hall but I like Prince Albert better Love to smoke BCA smoke it off and on since 1975

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Oh, agree with you on the Prince Albert. In the coming tobaccopocalypse, many people are going to learn that much of what they stuck their noses up at are actually perfectly fine smoking mixtures. For years, my daily pouch blend for public consumption was a mixture of Sugar Sugar Barrel and Walnut. When the Sugar Barrel went off the market, I substituted Carter Hall. Then the Walnut went.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am rather fond of Prince Albert, and not just because one of my literary heroes enjoyed it. Smoked slowly, this is a thoroughly enjoyable blend, but it needs more Nicotine, so I mix in some C&D Dark Burley to shore it up a bit.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Prince Albert, Captain Black and Carter Hall, or the codger blends, are all good smokes and good for breaking in new pipes and forever have a place in my cellar

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Carter Hall is the only tobacco I buy by the tub. It is my go to smoke when working around the house or yard. I love it . Although I will say sometimes the first draw is always harsh or bitter tasting to me but within two to three draws it settles down and is a very smooth and delicious smoke. I agree with others it does burn fast . I believe you will like it ! Happy smoking ! :puffpipe:

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Carter Hall is a decent smoke. I always keep a tub of this around, along with the Prince. I can't say I smoke it often as I usually find it way to light for my tastes. I think this and PA can be great intro tobaccos for new smokers as well.
I have heard the P&C copy, Chatham Manor is more flavorful and uses better quality tobacco though.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I used to go back and forth between Prince Albert, and Carter Hall. Till one day the prince albert tasted minty to me, don't know why but I haven't smoked it since. Ever since that day it has been Carter Hall, all day every day.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I got a pouch of CH for my birthday. I was dismissive of the "cheap" tobacco, but gave it a try. It's simple, honest, and tasty like pancakes and sausage. I've got a tub and smoke it a few times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.