PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Hello all,
Well I decided to place an order for a new pipe today. I went with a Peterson Dracula 2012 X105 (billiard) Fishtail. I really like the looks of this pipe and was instantly smitten with it after discovering its existence in another thread where someone was asking for opinions regarding this particular model.
I really like the contrasting colors of the matte black pipe coupled with the red & black stem and a shiny nickel band, containing flying bats, and the word Dracula engraved on it, to bring it all together. VERY sleek and sexy looking pipe IMO. In fact, as I have been looking at pipes from several manufacturers, I find myself constantly being drawn to the aesthetically pleasing line of Peterson pipes. I can certainly see myself purchasing more pipes from them in the future.
I have to admit, aside from the looks of this pipe, I am also a fan of, and drawn to the heritage if it's name sake. Since I was a pre-teen boy, I had a fascination with Dracula and vampire movies/lore in general. I remember watching Nosferatu as a young boy and falling under the counts hypnotic spell. HAHAHAHA! Of course, I also enjoyed the Lugosi Dracula, and when Coppola released his amazing rendition of the film, I was drawn to it as well. Anyway, enough about my love of film, this is a forum about pipes and pipe smoking. I wanted to add that in to give everyone an idea of how truly excited I was to see an official Dracula model pipe. Admittedly, no matter what it looked like, I probably would have wanted to get one regardless. I feel fortunate in the fact that Peterson's design sensibilities just happen to be a perfect match for my tastes.
While a billiard styled pipe isn't exactly a design I can imagine our dastardly anti-hero smoking from, I just happened to like the look of the style and could not resist going with the classic shape. I do, however, wish I had the funds available to also order up the #03 (bent apple) style as, in my mind, that is actually the pipe I can imagine Dracula himself with, relaxing by the fireplace after a long night of bloodsucking and other morbidly dark shenanigans. HA!
I just hope that when I receive my new pipe, it smokes as good as it looks. This will be my first "nice" pipe, and I am excited to get it here and start breaking it in!
Take care everybody, and than you for reading. :)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats on your Peterson. I too am really drawn to Peterson pipes - I have 3 already and will likely add a fourth some day. The Dracula line does nothing for me personally (even tho I like billiards), but it's a popular line, so you're not alone in liking it.
Beware, the break-in of a Pete can sometimes be a bear - but the end result will be an excellent pipe.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Congrats! It'll be a heck of a conversation piece.
Sort of off-topic. Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of my all time favourite movies. Gary Oldman was absolutely brilliant, and Keanu Reeves was equally terrible. (IMO) Give me anyone else as Harker, literally!

gisboro

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
The peterson I have smokes like a dream, hope you enjoy it.
Sort of off-topic. Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of my all time favourite movies.

Going a little more off topic, I grew up near the town that inspired Bram Stoker to write that book. A little fishing village on the east coast of England called Whitby. Fantastic place to go and visit.
Sorry OP for going off a little there.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have the 03 full bent apple and it smokes like a dream. Drilled dead on with a wonderful draw. Doesn't heat up too much. It's definitely a pipe worthy of its price range. I love the aesthetics as well. I'm a sucker for eclectic stems. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Thanks guys, I am really excited to get this in. My biggest concern is breaking it in properly. From my limited understanding, you should only smoke them with the bowl 1/3 of the way full for for the first dozen or so bowls, then alternate between bowls half full and completely full for the next 6 or so bowls. Always skipping at least a day in between bowls and thoroughly cleaning the pipe after each smoking session.
I see quite a bit in regards to Carter Hall being great for breaking in a new pipe, and since this happens to be my favorite blend thus far, and is available locally, I have no issues with that. :P
However, I have read that it is NOT recommended to remove the stem from the pipe to clean it. Is there some truth to that. Also, I have seen that you should never remove the stem from a pipe that is still warm. With my MM cob and Grabow, I have done this with no ill effect, however, I want to be 100% sure that I am doing everything "by the book" when I get this pipe into my collection. I do not want to risk ruining my new $100 pipe, which I have come to understand isn't a LOT in the world of pipes, but it IS lot for my budget to withstand. :wink:
EDIT: By the way, if any of you are looking to purchase one of these, I ordered mine from Smoking Pipes, and I see that Cup 'O Joes has them in stock as well. Both vendors have the 03 Bent Apple, and the X105 Billiard style in stock. IMO, either one of those styles would be very cool to own.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Breaking in a pipe is a bit over done I think. The rule is to fill it half way and try to smoke it all the way down to ash - this will help in starting a good cake. However, many break this rule with no ill effect.
However, I have read that it is NOT recommended to remove the stem from the pipe to clean it. Is there some truth to that.
Good for you to ask this question. Many a pipe has been ruined by trying to remove a stem while the pipe is hot. I think it's fine to remove a stem when it's cold, but if it's a very tight stem, take extra care. For really tight stems, some even resort to putting in the freezer to help it come loose.
However, don't leave a pipe with the stem off for long periods. If it's humid, the briar may swell and make it harder to get back on.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Numbersix, thank you for your helpful (and quick) answer to my questions.
When you say not to leave the stem off for long periods, are you talking hours, or even just several minutes. For myself, I usually take less than 5 minutes cleaning my pipes.
My cleaning method is very simple and only involves using a pipe cleaner on the stem, and them wiping down the inside of the bowl with a dry paper towel. As far as I know, that is all that is really needed, however, I have never had a nice pipe before and want to make sure that really is all that it needs. Perhaps I should search around on you tube for some good pipe cleaning videos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those Peterson Draculas must have hit a nerve, or maybe a vein. Some of the sites that had them now don't,

so they went fast. I wasn't fixin' to buy one yet, but I wanted another look, and ... gone!

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have the 03 and 63? I believe? LOL they're still sitting quiet in the box.......would love the XL....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
numbersix, interesting comment about breaking in Petersons. I have six, and they seem to have different

characteristics on breaking in. My two bent brandy B11's started well and never looked back, almost from

bowl one. My Killarney Rhodesian 999 and Around the World Series bulldog took a little longer, but they're

sharp little pipes and came along nicely. My Kapet author took a long time to get good, but it's happening,

at last. So when you mentioned the slow break-in, it hit a chord with me.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I'm with ya here favorite movie? Dracula..favorite book? Dracula. Would have gotten this no matter what. Was lucky enough to get the 03 and 221. Havent smoked yet, but they look great next to the Peterson Halloween pipe.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Congrats on the Pete, i have a few and love them, P-lip and fishtail.....
i HATE the new pretty boy vampires of today. Vlad was never supposed to be "cute".

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Those day glow blood red stems on the Pete Draculas were what got me started on my quest for custom made bright Lucite stems. Got tired of all that black. May have to pick one up just on account of the stem. Nice snag. Let us know what smoke you break her in with.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Congrats on the new Pete, I too was drawn to the style of the dracula line. Glad you enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.