PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Senator Durbin (D-IL) has reintroduced a massive tobacco tax increase as part of a bill that is otherwise intended to address maternal mortality. Buried within S. 411, the Mothers and Offspring Mortality and Morbidity Awareness Act (MOMMA’s Act), are changes to the tax code that would treat the entire tobacco industry as cigarettes. The result is an estimated 500% - 1000% increase on the tax for premium cigars (depending on size) and a 1650% increase on the tax for pipe tobacco!

A tax this big isn’t just lost profit.This bill will raise the costs for manufacturers, retailers, and consumers. Jobs, businesses, and ability to buy and enjoy a premium cigar will be at risk. Take action now by letting your US Senators know that S.411 (MOMMA’s Act) shouldn’t be paid for on the back of a single industry!

All you need to do is add your info and it will automatically send a pre-drafter letter to your state senators.

I think that most of us have come to the conclusion that tobacco will either be illegal or priced and taxed out of most people's price range in the hear future. This has been a motivator for me and many others to get a cellar stocked up as fast as possible.
If tobacco remains, that will be a pleasant surprise.
If it isn't, then most of us planned well, and can smoke until we die.

Either way... I would suggest not getting caught with your pants down.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Found this regarding the current US tax on pipe tobacco: 27 CFR § 41.30 - Pipe tobacco and roll-your-own tobacco tax rates. - https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/41.30

2002 to
March 31, 2009
April 1, 2009 and after
ProductTax rate per pound* for removals during the following periods:
Pipe tobacco$ 1.0969$ 2.8311
Roll-your-own tobacco$ 1.0969$ 24.78

So, if my math is right, the cost of a 2 oz. tin currently includes 35 cents ($0.35) worth of pipe tobacco tax. The MOMMA bill (do these fat cat politicians have nothing better to do than come up with cutesy acronym titles for their stupid bills?) would increase that by a factor of 17.5, meaning the seller would have have to increase a tin's cost by about $6 to offset the increase in tax. So, it's not quite double the price, but it's pretty ridiculous.

I'm glad I cellared what I have while the prices have been "low". Unfortunately, I am too young, and too in love with my pipe habit, to make my stash last longer than 4 years. Off to buy more tobacco? I'm sure the missus will understand ...

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Get ready lads, soon enough you'l be paying 40$ a tin just like us up here in the Great White North.
I‘m a Canuck and just inquired about a pouch of Amphora at my local B/M last week, and it was 35$ plus 5$ sales tax for a pouch, lol. I’d like to support them but sorry. Although I don’t smoke that much so if the price goes up there it won’t hurt me as much as some. Anyhow my cellar is currently growing...

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
It is obvious that taxes on tobacco and alcohol or any other such items are susceptible to increase and have a lot of support for it.

I will give you an example, a few years ago a company decided to import GL Pease and Cornell & Diehl to Spain, a lot of joy had the pipe smokers with it until they saw the price....2 oz of any of them cost about 27 USD ....

My tobacconist asked me why I didn't buy from them, my answer was simple,:

"for every three tins I buy from you at that price, I'll buy 7 from smokingpipes with shipping included and on top of that I'll get them delivered to my house".

In Spain we have been used to these increases for years.

However, I prefer that they raise taxes on tobacco, alcohol or gambling and do not cut in health or education.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Sigh. I've gone ahead and traumatized my wallet with the special order of 10 pounds of Stokkebye Norwegian and a couple of 21 liter CVaults to store it in. The taxes are already pants here in the Pacific Moistwest, I shudder to imagine exactly how they're going to stack that proposed increase on top of a 95% wholesale tax.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Senator Durbin (D-IL) has reintroduced a massive tobacco tax increase
For 2019 smokers represented just 14% of the general US population, and 20% of these are “occasional” smokers.
Pipe smokers are not even an asterisk in the statistics.

The real problem is that most of your friends and neighbors likely think this is a good idea.

Make hay while you can, it is only going to become more difficult.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think that most of us have come to the conclusion that tobacco will either be illegal or priced and taxed out of most people's price range in the hear future. This has been a motivator for me and many others to get a cellar stocked up as fast as possible.
If tobacco remains, that will be a pleasant surprise.
If it isn't, then most of us planned well, and can smoke until we die.

Either way... I would suggest not getting caught with your pants down.
That all depends on who catches you with your pants down, don't you agree?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For 2019 smokers represented just 14% of the general US population, and 20% of these are “occasional” smokers.
Pipe smokers are not even an asterisk in the statistics.

The real problem is that most of your friends and neighbors likely think this is a good idea.

Make hay while you can, it is only going to become more difficult.
This pretty well sums it up. Rage and pose all you want, you're just pissing into a gale. Definitely let your reps, who probably couldn't care less, know your position regarding this. If you can, start stocking up on what you like.
Me? I'm going to smoke a bowl and then get back to work.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
For what it's worth; I'm rather sorry to see that they're coming after American pipe smokers.

Here in Nanny State Australia tobacco is now around $125 for 50g.
Outrageous and contemptable.

What's most disappointing is that there's been no outcry from the majority. No united campaign [that I'm aware]
My grandfathers generation would not have tolerated such contempt towards the people.
Industry would have shut down.

I've lived with a 'terminal' disease for over twenty years that's aggravated by stress big time. [Why puffing on a pipe is quite therapeutic for me] So I've done what I can to help myself.

Now is the time for Americans to come together to fight this proposed bill, with an emphasis on the huge difference to health between tailor-made cigarettes and pipe tobacco.

Once pipe tobacco is treated and taxed at the same rate as RYO or tailor-made cigarettes, there's no turning back. Governments become reliant on the huge tax windfall.
Rise up and confront this proposed bullshit now. No use whinging later.

At least Americans can legally grow their own baccy. But, once both your State and Federal Govt's are raking in money hand over fist, you can bet your fanciest pipe that they'll try to make growing your own illegal.

Here in Nanny State Australia, growing tobacco for personal use is a bigger offense than growing ones own cannabis. [Meh. Fark 'em. Unjust laws should be broken on mere principle]

On a personal level, now is the time to stock up on as much tobacco as you can afford.
Properly stored tobacco keeps for decades.
If the shit ever hits the fan baccy will be a valuable trade item.
Tobacco will only rise in value.

Please, act now while you're still able.

Status
Not open for further replies.