PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am looking for an automatic car. I have not owned an automatic for myself in 30 yrs but Doc. put a stipulation on my license when it comes for renewal this summer. Now, my wife has an automatic, but she won't drive my 5 speed so it is a new car for me I guess. Here is where it gets weird. I am looking on kijiji tonight and I see a 1997 Neon for $1450.00. YUK! Untill I read further: New 2 yr safety inspection, rust check every year, auto, Dealer Maintained. So I call the number and an old dude answers the phone, tells me about the car. His sister owned it from new, never parked in the driveway, always in the Garage. She is now 92 and can no longer drive! Here is the best part, it has 43000 KM on it! Wow. 15 yrs old and 43000 KM. I would never have considered a car that old but at 43000Km it is not even broken in yet. What is your opinion?

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
I had a 97 Neon that I used and abused for years. When I decided I didn't want it anymore, I decided to try and kill it... I couldn't do it. Sold it to a dude who still uses it as his back up.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Its a decent car car for a decent price, with that kind of mileage and age, you will definitely want a mechanics opinion on it, cars dont like to sit, most break more when they sit than if they are driven regularly. If it were me, I would give it the once over my self, but ask permission to bring it to my trusted mechanic for in depth inspection.
Just my 2¢
I definitely would get it checked, probably replace all the belts and break pads anyway

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The best car I ever owned was in a category like the one you describe. Mine was $1509 and had 1509 miles.

72 Chevy Nova 327 4-barrel... that car would scream. (Don't tell my Mom but I used to beat Trans Ams Light to Light.) :D

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
My mom had a Neon for many years. She flipped it, skidded on the roof for 25 feet and walked away with some bumps and bruises, a fat lip from the airbag and a broken finger. I would say after seeing the car and how she walked away from it it's a great car and that's a great price. Good luck, in your search!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya I hear ya Lawrence, my first car ever, when I turned 16 was a 72 Chevelle, we took the old motor out an put in a 350 rocket, had to change transmission, exaust and modify linkage to the wheel. But, man would that thing ever scat. Wish I still had it, it would be worth a pretty penny now.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes indeed guys. An engine is not even considered broken in properly untill 75-100 thousand KM. Dealer maintained means full service every 3 months as well. Belts and hoses I can do myself.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Those are the best used cars ... the ones that have been babied by an elderly person.
Another good cheap source, is rental agencies. You might think that they would have beaters, but in reality, they are constantly buying and selling to keep their fleets level with their amount of business.
I would sure like a good economy car. My Ford Ranger is in great shape but I can barely afford to drive it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a 2003 Saturn Ion, undoubtedly the best car I have ever owned. 30 to 35 miles per gallon, huge trunk, and easy as heck to drive. We do all our long distance traveling in it. My one and only complaint is lack of lumbar support, and I have a pillow for that. And it is an automatic, btw.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I just came back from looking at it, it is bought and paid for, picking it up tomorrow. I just could not pass up a car with 43000Km for 1450.00 dollars. Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. Funny part, when I stopped in to insurance comp. today to insure it for tomorrow, I found out the Gal who wrote up my policy is the Granddaughter of the Lady who owned the car. She told me, You are getting an awsome buy.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
That's a pretty good deal!! Neons are ugly, but for that price and km's, very good deal.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Good buy there fisher! Dodge Neons and Dodge minivans run forever. A buddy of mine runs around in an 87 Dodge minivan that refuses to die! Best of luck with the car, hope it helps with your back situation.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Buy it nfisher, I had Dodge Stratus before, and I can assure those are really durable cars. 47K kms are nothing to the engine life cycle, engine is still considered new, but be aware of the suspension and under chassis joints, give the car a good inspection under chassis before proceed.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
I had a 97 Neon that I used and abused for years. When I decided I didn't want it anymore, I decided to try and kill it... I couldn't do it. Sold it to a dude who still uses it as his back up.
A friend of mine owned Neon as well, and he dubbed it The Undead Neon. No matter how hard he drove it, used it, abused it, it would not die. He eventually sold it off to someone just because he was tired of driving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.