PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
I think Zippos are so plain-cool, they're worth whatever minor hassle comes with them.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
i used to go through pipe lighters rather rapidly, until my wife bought me a Dunhill Unique; built like a tank, it will outlast me. Then I got a Zippo pipe lighter on ebay. Brand new, about 26 bucks, it has the pipe insert and a solid brass case. Nothing lights a pipe better in the wind, and in my opinion it is the safest lighter to use with a fine pipe. Lifetime warranty, they'll fix it for free. If you use the fuel in the black can there will be no taste imparted to your tobacco. The only downside is the need to refill every week or so, but hey the fuel is cheaper than good butane (never use the cheap butane in a good lighter; it's dirty and it will foul the jets in short order). I heartily recommend a Zippo pipe lighter.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I use a Zippo pipe lighter and have no problems with lighting or fuel taste. They do need refilling more often than a butane lighter. The main quality I like about Zippos is their reliability, warranty, and they are made in the USA. I have an Old Boy here that used to be my favorite lighter until it started leaking butane and will have to be sent off for repairs. Zippos are also easier on your pipe rims, butane can char them as I found out the hard way on several of my pipes. That's my .02 on Zippos.
Smokey

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I must really be in the sticks zippo black can fuel? i use ronson yellow/blue plastic container all the time in my zippo never had a problem,ow that's right ronson is made by zippo.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Zippo with Thunderbird pipe insert for most of my use. The T-bird insert can be fussy but the convenience of minimal refills makes it worth the effort.

Zippo pipe insert for windy days, Zippo black fuel, drys out fast.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Since I got my Corona Old Boy over christmas, my zippo has taken a backseat. It now serves as my truck lighter. Its good for relights with the window open, and is easier to use while watching the road :lol: I use the black can zippo fluid, and only taste it while lighting.
No problems or complaints from me. All lighters need to be refilled, and all lighters have their quirks. Haven't tried one without the pipe shroud however. Maybe that's the source of some dissatisfaction?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Zippo for nails and occasionally the pipe, but since I got a Vector Rapidash pipe lighter I've been using that quite satisfactorily. About 6 months now, about once a week refill.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The Zippo is a keeper . The hing area is robust and the metals used are of a high carbon grade .They hold up forever .Any fuel source will sufice in a pinch . And the flints are of good quality . But best of all you can do tricks with them . The fact that are so durable they become a old friend just like your pipes . I have never heard anyone say Zippo sucks or regret thier purchase . Get one you like and the insert for the pipe . Long after other lighters have long passed away this one will light every time . 8)

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Like I said previously, I absolutely love mine and obviously so do a lot of people here, but quite honesly everyone is different and the only way you will know what you like is to try it. But if you try it and like it, you will really like it. You cant really like a bic, you just use it. A zippo becomes a part of the whole experience if it is for you. And if it isn't, Ebay it :) The slightly used ones still go for good money, you could get most of it back. If you live somewhere a bit windy a zippo really cant be surpassed though. Good Luck!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a Peterson branded Zippo with a pipe insert. It is crap, I rarely get it to light up no matter how much it is adjusted or filled.
I use an Old Boy exclusively now.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
Thank you for all your opinions gentlemen,it does seem that Zippo is quite popular so it looks as though I will get myself one.A traditional fuel type,now to choose a design ( there are hundreds ).Don't know about a pipe insert though,havn't come across one of those.
Tom

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
Tom, you can buy Zippos with the pipe insert already in them or if you don't like the pipe design you can send a regular Zippo back to the factory and they will install a pipe insert for you. They will even send your regular insert back and I don't believe they charge for this service. In my case, I already had a pipe Zippo and when a friend gave me a custom engraved Zippo (w/regular insert) for Christmas, I just switched my pipe insert over to the custom one.
Smokey

danielmore

Lurker
Jan 13, 2012
I find that letting the Zippo "warm up" for just a couple seconds burns off any excess fuel and therefore gives off no taste. There is a group of people who collect Zippo and meet in the summer at the Bradford, PA factory for a swap meet. There are thousands of lighters to collect. Zippo was allocated resources during WWII because they were considered important to the war effort. This was due to their ability to work on a number of fuel sources.

I find that the need to refill frequently requires maintenance but like with old friends you have to take the good with the bad.

There is a Chic4 brand lighter that has a 45degree flame and comes with a tamper built in. Cheap and cheerful if you can find them. Reliable, soft adjustable flame, flint (no electronics) a real work horse. An unfortunate name though.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
WVsmokeshop,zippo pipe lighter $13.19 & $17.39 for a more fancier look around on other sites or go to the zippo site.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I got a Zippo Black Ice not too long ago and replaced the inside with a butane pipe insert. The side angle works great and I just love the tactile feel and sound of the Zippo. It is my going out lighter. The closing of the Zippo, that CLERSK sound, is timeless.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is no charge for Zippo to replace the insert with a pipe insert, new or old lighters. You just have to pay postage. ($7 I think?)

ahmedaloub

Lurker
Feb 24, 2012
I really like my ZIPPO. I never notice any strange tast or even smell anything from it. I am using Ronsonol Fule.
The only thing i do not like is if you have pipe with big blow it is little difficult to relight especially if it near the end as you have to buff stronge enough so you can relight it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.