PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I consider a Zippo essential to my Pipe and Tobacco Hobbyist Survival Kit. Enviably reliable, and the Black Can Fuel is great. I'm the sort of fellow who loves redundancy in my "survival" gear. :puffy:

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I wonder if those of us who fault a zippo are treating theirs fairly. Mine has the large side-holes in the chimney, (soft-flame) and uses the liquid fuel. On lighting the pipe: After ignition, the flat side of the lighter is placed onto the top of the pipe. (Direct contact) The chimney does not touch the pipe, as it is slightly recessed from lighter's case. The case is resting on the pipe doing no harm. The large chimney hole of course is dead center to the bowl. The wick is trimmed to the center of the chimney side hole height, and its tip is leaning right flush with the chimney hole nearest the pipe.(not protruding outside chimney) The flame will be tall, but that's what's needed to draw it to the bottom of your biggest pipe. No pipes (of mine) were ever injured with this method.

Please view this as helpfullness and not tutoring or condescention. It was hard to compose!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I only had one pipe that the Zippo had a hard time lighting, a large, plateaux top Boswell freehand. Once the bowl was halfway smoked, it was a little tough. The adjustable flame on the t-bird did reach into that bowl easier and with less effort.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I get this newsletter every couple of weeks that highlights available Zippo lighters, there are always some fascinating and unique items.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/tobacciana/zippo

soylentgreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2011
Anyone have the address (or a link to the address) for sending in a Zippo to get a pipe insert?

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
If anyone would like info on how to convert a plain chimney to pipe chimney yourself for free, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.