PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
When I first started (about 1.5 years ago) I had a million questions about smoking a pipe. I watched YouTube videos and read different forums and joined this forum and one other.

I posted questions that the members here patiently answered. I posted follow up questions. I was doing a lot of research, I tend to operate that way.

Once I got the hang of smoking a pipe I realized just how little I learned from all the questions. I don’t mean that people didn’t have good answers, they did and it was helpful. However, it isn’t what taught me the most.

The real answer to most of the questions I had about smoking were answered by smoking. And smoking some more. And then some more.

I’m not saying there isn’t a value in some of the videos. @chasingembers has a video posted on here about packing via the fold and stuff, and it is quite handy to see someone do it. That’s just one example, there are many more. Ultimately though, you have to just put it into practice and make it work for you.

All that being said, one thing I wished I would have done early on is smoke several bowls of each blend before trying another. It’s a good way to learn how to pack it into the pipes you will use. Keep smoking enough that you learn how much of each blend it takes to pack it appropriately. Mostly though, keep smoking! It gets better and easier with time.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
You guys are very tough on him, give the guy a break! Just skimmed through it and didn't see anything cringy other than using a hipster jar for drinking! He starts by saying "beginner pipe tips from a beginner", not presenting himself as an authority of any sort, unlike a lot of youtube content.
I am doubting the "great flavours" he's claiming he's getting from Early Morning Pipe two weeks in pipe smoking, but that's just me. EMP is light as it is, borderline hot air for my shot tastebuds.

I like Stuff and Things for reviews and Bremen Pipe Smoker for listening to the stories and relaxing.
Bremen pipe smoker is great. Relaxed guy showing his old house and the yard, while talking about salty dogs, MB Navy Cut and others. But for a US-citizen surely hard to understand. You’re lucky. What do you think of Ralph? I like him too.

Reactions: yanoJL

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Don’t get me started on the whole wannabe plantation owner “pipe smokers must dress proper, abstain from profanity, and be proper gentlemen” act by that Robert E Lee loving moron The Pipe Cottage rotf

I haven’t watched enough of this guy to have a coherent opinion about his content. However, that accent made me immediately think of Dana Carvey’s Strom Thurmond impression in the famous SNL Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill sketch.

Strom Thurmond

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Bremen pipe smoker is great. Relaxed guy showing his old house and the yard, while talking about salty dogs, MB Navy Cut and others. But for a US-citizen surely hard to understand. You’re lucky. What do you think of Ralph? I like him too.
Who is Ralph? :)

I don't watch many pipe videos to be honest, just Stuff and Things when I want a review and Bremen Pipe Smoker to relax. I am not a US citizen :)

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Who is Ralph? :)

I don't watch many pipe videos to be honest, just Stuff and Things when I want a review and Bremen Pipe Smoker to relax. I am not a US citizen :)
I know from your profile that you are living in Switzerland, therefore I said you are lucky to listen to german content.

Ralph is another german, who’s you tube channel Rallis Pfeifenkino is of more informative character: for example he visits a german ebonite manufacturer or the Thomas Darasz a the tobacco blender in Kiel, or he talks to some carvers, Tom Eltang is one of them: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYXnyjJBMyTJFtYR3TZATdQ and he runs his own blog: Rallis Pfeifengeschichte(n) - https://rallis.blog/

Grüße in die Schweiz, wo bist du denn da?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I know from your profile that you are living in Switzerland, therefore I said you are lucky to listen to german content.

Ralph is another german, who’s you tube channel Rallis Pfeifenkino is of more informative character: for example he visits a german ebonite manufacturer or the Thomas Darasz a the tobacco blender in Kiel, or he talks to some carvers, Tom Eltang is one of them: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYXnyjJBMyTJFtYR3TZATdQ and he runs his own blog: Rallis Pfeifengeschichte(n) - https://rallis.blog/

Grüße in die Schweiz, wo bist du denn da?
Ah cool, I'll have a look, my German is still conversational so perhaps watching pipe videos will improve that!

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I just happened across a guy on YT telling me how pipe smokers dress... is that real? I thought it might be a joke video at first until I realized he was serious. It amazes me, this propensity (that I’m sure I have as well) to take anything- even a peaceful hobby like this- and turn it into a tool for self righteousness. Ugh. It’s put me in a constructively critical mood tonight (toward myself). (But, seriously, that video was awful).

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Wait just a minute now.... you mean you don't wear a flat cap, a tweed country suit and a fine pair of Brogues when you're out lunting? I am shocked! Ah well I understand, as I puff away sitting in pj's and a robe....... hahahahaha I just assume I'm dressed like most pipe smokers that wake early and and enjoy that first pipe with coffee or tea.....

Mike

Wait just a minute now.... you mean you don't wear a flat cap, a tweed country suit and a fine pair of Brogues when you're out lunting? I am shocked! Ah well I understand, as I puff away sitting in pj's and a robe....... hahahahaha I just assume I'm dressed like most pipe smokers that wake early and and enjoy that first pipe with coffee or tea.....

Mike
Damn, I thought that I had missed something in my pipe smoking attire when I saw the word "Brogues." But, after Googling them, I realized it was the same thing as "brogans" so I am good. puffy Ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.