PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I don’t know about anyone else, but if I only had 2 weeks of experience with a particular subject, I certainly wouldn’t stampede to YouTube and present myself as an authority on the subject. I don’t think that guy is aware of which side of the Dunning-Kruger line he’s standing on.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I will follow your advice, I will slow down, I apologize. I just have been all my life a guy who thinks he needs to learn everything on an instant, again I apologize
absolutely nothing to apologize for. Just relax, the learning curve will take of itself and that which is right for you will not be so for others. Fairly soon it will be second nature and you can take pleasure in the ritual as well as the smoke.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think I figured out why so many people here including myself don't like this fellow much. It seems like every group gets these self appointed spokespersons. And they always seem to be jerks. I'll put it this way most people I meet from various groups are fine and just living their lifes with their believes and all that.... But the guy who speaks for them is always annoying intrusive and makes the rest look bad.
It isn't hard to imagine a new person picking up a pipe seeing this guy and saying either well this ain't for me or just as bad I'll keep smoking but that plan to talk with and learn from other pipers (they don't know any better) as they're going to be like this guy tells me they are.
Or in other words if he can elect him self our spokesperson then we can hate on him all we want with impunity.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
OP, you've made a great decision to post here. My best advice is to browse through the categories here that are of interest while continuing your pipe smoking practice. After a few weeks you will have absorbed more relevant information and advice and wisdom than you'd ever gleam from YouTube.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
After 2 weeks, a book, and YouTube, I'm going to say he's over qualified and should probably ditch YouTube to become a published author.

It can take a long time to master a pipe. Finding the packing method that works for you. Learning to sip, pressure to tamp. What are good vs bad pipes. The tobaccos flavors notes and types that will become your favorite. And honestly a pipe is a personal thing. People can suggest to you how to do things but we all have are own ways that work for us.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc and Ray Popp

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I will follow your advice, I will slow down, I apologize. I just have been all my life a guy who thinks he needs to learn everything on an instant, again I apologize
Before I worked in a pipe shop, I learned about technique and tobacco through books. Some things have been discussed and debated for decades and you can get a very solid grounding by reading books by people who have both knowledge and experience. (All of these are out of print, but they’re all easy to find in online used bookstores.)

Carl Weber’s The Pleasures of Pipe Smoking. Weber was a pipe manufacturer in the US (Weber Pipes) and reading this was my introductIon to the whole world of pipe smoking.

Richard Carleton Hacker’s The Ultimate Pipe Book. Hacker self-published this one back in the early 1980s, but much of the information and insight remains relevant. Lots of photos.

Carl Ehwa’s The Book of Pipes & Tobacco. This one’s less about technique, but it is highly recommended for a solid grounding in all things pipes/tobaccos. Ehwa was one of the founders of McClelland.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Youtubers whom I enjoy:
Muttnchop Piper
Pipes, Tobacco & Whiskey
Aristocob
Old Carolina Pipe Cottage

I have also been enjoying Hobbiton Piper who I have just recently discovered.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
You guys are very tough on him, give the guy a break! Just skimmed through it and didn't see anything cringy other than using a hipster jar for drinking! He starts by saying "beginner pipe tips from a beginner", not presenting himself as an authority of any sort, unlike a lot of youtube content.
I am doubting the "great flavours" he's claiming he's getting from Early Morning Pipe two weeks in pipe smoking, but that's just me. EMP is light as it is, borderline hot air for my shot tastebuds.

I like Stuff and Things for reviews and Bremen Pipe Smoker for listening to the stories and relaxing.

Dec 12, 2022
Sint-Truiden, Belgium
Hey, hard to find the right kind of advice when beginning, for sure. These guys hepled me out a lot:
  1. Muttnchop Piper
  2. The Spurgeon Piper
  3. The Pipe Cottage
Especially Muttnchop Piper very helpful. His laid back attitude and calm pensive way of tackling things is great. Also Brain's podcast has helped a lot (especially the 'pipe parts' bit).
You'll have to figure out a lot of things for yourself though as pipe smoking is - to me that is - a very personal thing on the physical, emotional and mental side. But as said above: take your time. It took me two years to finally have a great smoke out of my pipes. It's kind of like swimming: once you get it, it becomes a habit, a reflex, a way of progressing through life.

Reactions: yanoJL

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
I think I figured out why so many people here including myself don't like this fellow much. It seems like every group gets these self appointed spokespersons. And they always seem to be jerks. I'll put it this way most people I meet from various groups are fine and just living their lifes with their believes and all that.... But the guy who speaks for them is always annoying intrusive and makes the rest look bad.
It isn't hard to imagine a new person picking up a pipe seeing this guy and saying either well this ain't for me or just as bad I'll keep smoking but that plan to talk with and learn from other pipers (they don't know any better) as they're going to be like this guy tells me they are.
Or in other words if he can elect him self our spokesperson then we can hate on him all we want with impunity.
"Or in other words if he can elect him self our spokesperson then we can hate on him all we want with impunity."

Yep ...

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
I liked Pipe Cottage ... wish he would continue ...
I find myself frustrated with Muttonchop ... like, come on man, out with it ... then again, I will probably have a tough time smoking Straight Va's ...

Reactions: yanoJL
Status
Not open for further replies.