PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Perez

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
hey! As some of you know, I am a beginner, i know this category on the forum is for more advanced pipers but it seemed not to fit on the beginner area, so, can anyone give me their opinion about the guy in the link below? is he reliable? thank you, people
:sher::sher::sher:

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I think the best thing he said was go to check out some pipes at a B&M. I would definitely recommend an estate pipe IF it has been properly cleaned.

Jars are super helpful too, but unless you are not going to smoke something within a month or two, they are not strictly necessary.

The rest, try it and if you find it helpful, cool. But I wouldn’t feel bad if you decided to ignore it.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
hey! As some of you know, I am a beginner, i know this category on the forum is for more advanced pipers but it seemed not to fit on the beginner area, so, can anyone give me their opinion about the guy in the link below? is he reliable? thank you, people
:sher::sher::sher:
Question is too vague.

Not sure what in the video you are curious about, I’m not going to watch right now.

You’ll get tons of solid information just reviewing threads here whether recent or older, IMO, either at random or searching. I enjoy that, anyway.

@Chasing Embers has some videos you can find on here about packing pipes if that’s the issue, for example.

Trial and error, make some time for trying whatever aspect you want to work on.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I will follow your advice, I will slow down, I apologize. I just have been all my life a guy who thinks he needs to learn everything on an instant, again I apologize
No need to apologize.

Pipe smoking isn’t an instant get. This isn’t crack.

It takes technique and some patience. You’ll be fine. Just under how slow some progress can be.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I will follow your advice, I will slow down, I apologize. I just have been all my life a guy who thinks he needs to learn everything on an instant, again I apologize
No need to apologize my friend. And you can post anywhere you like. This forum is for all pipe smokers, old timers, and new, just like you. Feel free to ask whatever you like.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Apology unnecessary. It took me several years, several different pipes and who knows how many different tobaccos before I became a died in the wool pipe smoker. I tried smoking pipe in the Marine Corps, but it was not always convenient and cigarettes were everywhere, including our C rations, but pipe tobacco was difficult to find some times. It wasn't till I got medevaced back to the States and spent a year in and out of the hospital in Oakland and San Francisco California that I really began to smoke a pipe. Even then it wasn't as handy as cigarettes but far more enjoyable. After the Marine Corps and in college is where I really begin to enjoy pipes because I could slow down and relax when I smoke them. I believe taking your time and relaxing, just sipping the pipe was the best advice I got.

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I only skimmed through it for fun. I disagree with nearly every tip he gave (or at least the ones I heard). The exception being to hold the pipe to the side of your mouth instead of the front - but what kind of psychopath would think to do it that way anyway? 🤣

In general though, I can't imagine having only two weeks of experience doing ANYTHING, and thinking I should broadcast my advice about it to the world. Strange times...

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
In general though, I can't imagine having only two weeks of experience doing ANYTHING, and thinking I should broadcast my advice about it to the world. Strange times...
I definitely agree with your assessment! I disagree with most of what he said and I only watched about half of the video. It's kind of like someone telling you how to repair your transmission when they're working on their first transmission themselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.