Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Does anybody have a good source for these carbon bladed, beechwood handled jack of all trades knives?
Thirty years ago I ran with a cat who owned an Army Surplus store. He had racks of these Opinels for three bucks apiece.
What are the best buys out there today and who has them? I'm looking to put one in four glove boxes next to corkscrews and screwdriver kits.
Thanks!
Fnord

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Amazon has a good selection. I purchased my last one, 20 years ago, from a garden supply catalog. Opinel makes a bunch of different knives and the style you are probably looking for is available in many variations. I'd check their website, I believe they retail on the site. opinel-usa.com

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've never had one myself. The hardest working knife I've ever owned (and I've owned a crap load) is my CRKT M-16 Carson double locking folder. I've had it for 15 years or so and cary it almost daily. It goes to work with me every night, and is subjected to things a good knife should never have to go through! Just a little drop of oil every now and then, and a good sharpening is all I've ever had to do to it! When I bought mine I think I paid in the neighborhood of $50 or so for it, I believe they can be had for less than $30 now.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
#1 on this knife, my Father used one on his shrimp nets, I have it on my desk, use it for letter opener, don't want to lose it. Warren is right about Amazon, my Fathers was not a folder, but carbon steel, he had it sharp as a razor.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
There are lots of sites to order them from depending if you are in USA or Canada. Here is the site to their US branch. www.opinel-usa.com

In Canada Knifezone.ca carries them as well. I used to have a few Opis but they went but the wayside when I found a dealer for EKA knives.

pseudonym

Lurker
May 10, 2012
They can be had for around $10 on ebay. Also I think Lee Valley carries them (at least they did a couple years ago).

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
I can highly recommend knifecenter.com as they have good customer service, quick shipping and a vast selection. I've ordered several knives from them.
http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=opinel
What are you going to use your Opinel for? They have several different shapes, handle materials (ebony, bone,) and even some with damascus blades.
I know the Opinel #6 is popular for grafting apples in the orchard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S241cU1azVI

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Maybe try Budk.com
They have a lot of knives on the cheap, bound to find something that will fit the bill.
Tom

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I bought one in france about 10 years ago. It was the only souvenir I bought, and I still enjoy using it to this day. They are great knives and are easy to keep sharp.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
these scout knives look very interesting..

does anyone know if the end could be slimmed down and used as a tamper?
51dHZviBzQL.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Put it on the band saw and then sand it smooth. I would be very careful so as not to expose the blade too much. And, of course, doing this will radically change the wonderful balance that the Opinels are known for.

Aug 1, 2012
I would suggest Smoky Mountain Knife Works for a place to buy these knives. They have (mostly) good and knowledgeable people working there and their return policy is good. On top of that, their prices are hard to beat. I have no affiliation with this company, I'm just a satisfied customer.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I have a No. 9 in Carbon Steel ad I love it. I think I got it from Amazon. They are a seriously great value for the price. They come in many sizes from tiny to...now that's a knife! They can also be had in different handle materials. There are also quite a few people out their customizing these both for aesthetics and functionality.
Perfect knife for plugs or cube cutting flakes.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
If you do a search for "modified opinel" there is lots of custom things you can do with these nice little knives.

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
does anyone know if the end could be slimmed down and used as a tamper?
I would not recommend modifying the end of a normal sized No.6, or 8 Opinel. Doing so would be unsafe, as it exposes the tip of the blade. It would be too dangerous to carry. See the photo below with the knife closed. (This knife has been modifed to have a thumb-stud, but you get the picture.) Modifying/sanding the pommel down to a tamper-width would destroy the main function of the folding knife: The blade folds into the knife handle to protect you when you carry it. Would you cut the tip off of a fixed-blade knife sheath? No, of course not.

If you bought a pinky-finger sized No.2 Opinel (this model is sometimes sold as a novelty keychain) the circumference will fit into the pipe bowl but the handle-length will be insufficient. The knife might actually get lost in the bowl! You're better off using the flat end of a builders pencil.

The solution:

Rodgers Of Sheffield Smokers Knife. This is designed for pipe smokers, is Made in England, has a nice tamper and only costs 10 quid. Good stuff.

These can be had from amazon.co.uk and smoke-king.co.uk

http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/Rodgers-Of-Sheffield-Smokers-Knife-597.html#SID=132

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Opinels have a very simple single pin design. It would be very easy to make a longer handle and tapper the end dowm to tamper size using simple hand tools. Here are a few custom Opinels guys have done up.

1281m_zpse34c651f.jpg

igerdilsanglier1d-z_zps25c1838d.jpg

images_zpsb1404dc2.jpg

Ndeg6JMG-002_zpsa2b7b220.jpg

ndeg8151_zps64b98c6c.jpg

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Looked online and Opinel has a line of "raw handle" knives that let you carve your own. Think a pipe knife is the best solution, though. However, I was looking for a pocket knife myself having recently lost one too an airport security check (a small Swiss Army I forgot was on my key chain) and I have an Opinel #7 in the mail. Forgot what a great deal these knives are so thanks for the reminder.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I have 4 opinels, all bought in France or given to me by French in-laws. One of them is always with me on hunting trips and is great for casing out fur bearers. The handle is pretty much a dark brown from much blood staining.
My favorite are the carbon steel number 8, but I also have the largest one (forget what number) and it's huge. I got it for boar hunting, but had no luck last year. It does work great for cutting up boxes. I have a stainless number 8 that fillets fish great and I also use it to open up quail, dove, and ducks. The little number 7 is mainly used for food prep.
Great knives, razor sharp, and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.