PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
There’s few “Tobacco Mecca’s” in the US. And Iwan Ries has got to be the top of the mountain.
I’d throw LJ Peretti in Boston just behind, as well as The Briar and the Burley in Bloomington, IN.
There are a few others, but those are my top three. They just ooze History, Tobacciana, and get people.
A few others a notch below, but wonderful visits.... The Gatlinburlier in Gatlinburg, TN; Strauss Tobacco in Kentucky (they’ve also a shop in Cincinnati), Uhle’s in Milwaukee, and there used to be a venerable shop in Los Angeles area called Kramer’s. (They served the Hollywood elite of the 40’s and 50’s)
Isn't there a very large store in Flint Michigan as well?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Isn't there a very large store in Flint Michigan as well?
Paul's Pipe Shop. I haven't been there myself, but have heard tales. They had a table at the NASPC Columbus Show with a lot of interesting well-aged tobacco.

Operation Iwan was a great success. My credit card and I certainly did our part. I came home with several unsmoked estate pipes, including a W.Ø. Larsen Straight Grain 10, a Walt Cannoy Signature Suedeblast, a large and handsome Walt Cannoy Cardinal House billiard, a Peterson gold-banded natural Supreme XL23, and a small Wojtek Pastuch "witch's hat".

I also bought a number of tins of estate tobacco, which Chuck priced very low, including McClelland 40th Anniversary, Three Oaks Syrian, Christmas Cheer, a couple from the Grand Oriental series, a couple Blakeney's Best, a very old tin of Charatan's Flake, and others. I passed on a lot of fantastic McClelland bargains, like Frog Morton Across the Pond, so that others who arrived after me would have an opportunity.

I think all who came had a good day. Chuck Levy seemed quite pleased. He brought much of the unsold items to Columbus and practically sold out.

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
Paul's Pipe Shop. I haven't been there myself, but have heard tales. They had a table at the NASPC Columbus Show with a lot of interesting well-aged tobacco.

Operation Iwan was a great success. My credit card and I certainly did our part. I came home with several unsmoked estate pipes, including a W.Ø. Larsen Straight Grain 10, a Walt Cannoy Signature Suedeblast, a large and handsome Walt Cannoy Cardinal House billiard, a Peterson gold-banded natural Supreme XL23, and a small Wojtek Pastuch "witch's hat".

I also bought a number of tins of estate tobacco, which Chuck priced very low, including McClelland 40th Anniversary, Three Oaks Syrian, Christmas Cheer, a couple from the Grand Oriental series, a couple Blakeney's Best, a very old tin of Charatan's Flake, and others. I passed on a lot of fantastic McClelland bargains, like Frog Morton Across the Pond, so that others who arrived after me would have an opportunity.

I think all who came had a good day. Chuck Levy seemed quite pleased. He brought much of the unsold items to Columbus and practically sold out.
Well done you, and all who were able to attend. This is very heartening to hear about!

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012

@craiginthecorn
Any idea if Iwan Ries plan to be at the CORPS Richmond show?

Reactions: Sharp_tungsten

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
This thread just inspired me to place my 2nd ever order to Iwan Ries.

Picked up a new Dublin for a song and a few of the (slightly) more elusive tobaccos (St. Bruno, Stirling Flake)

1631763203256.png
Aldo Velani

Also got the essentials (pipe cleaners, Black Frigate) and some MUWAT cigars to try (made with some Keltucky Fired).

1631763191541.jpeg