PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
All,
Covid has fallen harder on some of our ranks than on others. One of our largest club and show supporters, Iwan Ries, has been hit pretty hard. For those of you who didn't know, Iwan Ries is a huge supporter of the Chicago Pipe Collectors Club and the Chicago International Pipe and Tobacco Show. Chuck at Iwan Ries will often make purchases throughout the year, solely with the intent of bringing his finds to the Chicago show. With Covid canceling our past two shows, Chuck has made many purchases that he cannot pass on to us. In an effort to support Iwan Ries, and all they have done to support the show, the CPCC is hosting Operation Iwan. If you are able and so inclined, please show your support.

Sincerely
Tim Garrity
Chicago Pipe Collectors Club President

Operation Iwan
When: Saturday, July 24th 1:00 PM
Where: Iwan Ries (19 S Wabash Ave 2nd floor, Chicago, IL 60603)
** Parking is available at 55 E. Monroe St. $16 for 8 hours parking

Please RSVP via email so we may give Chuck an estimate of attendees.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
IR is a good place to shop pipes that are hard to get. At one time they reported having 15,000 pipes in their inventory, and I think they would be willing to comb their stock for a specific item. Many people like their blends. I've shopped with them for many years.,

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
I think adding an online option for at least some of the inventory would make the event much more successful. Many people who would be glad to help live outside of Chicagoland.
Much of their inventory is online, but they have more in stock that would take too much time to list.

Reactions: Aomalley27

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
They've got no meerschaum.?
Trust me, they’ve PLENTY of Meerschaum pipes. But as was stated earlier, their inventory is so enormous, it would take a dedicated associate huge amount of time to put everything online.
Just comparing their web offerings to the inventory Insee when I go in their physical shop, I’d say they’ve no more than 10% (I think I’m being generous) listed online. I’m gonna try to make it up there this week, so I’ll snap some pics.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Not to tell anyone how to run their business, but if they were hit pretty hard by COVID, wouldn't it be a priority to get inventory online for people to buy?

I know when Boswells closed early on, they spent the coming days photographing all of their cigar inventory and putting it up on their website to keep shopping accessible. Seems an odd choice not to.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I

Know it's an old post but does is this still valid? Never knew they had thousands of pipes in inventory.
Is what valid??? That they have thousands of pipes on hand? Yes indeed! I thought I posted pics, maybe I put them somewhere else. They are old school tobacconist.
Couple of folks questioned why they don’t have a stronger net presence. Simple answe, a majority of their sales are walk in. Plus they’re in the heart of Chicago, so ALL sales are subject to Fed/State/County/City tobacco taxes AND State/County/City Sales taxes. It means approximately 34% increase in out the door prices (They Do cover some of these when you purchase larger quantities)

It’d be a joy to have them all listed online, but that isn’t practical, as the Tax burden on potential out of state/online buyers would chase them off.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are looking for something in particular, I'd call them up. They might have to search a bit and call you back, but their inventory is vast; only a small portion is online.

Reactions: Sharp_tungsten

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the update. I've been on an estate pipe kick. Scored a cased set of Lorenzo nib pipes from the 80's or 90's if I had to guess. I'd like to had more Italian Lorenzo and brebbia to my humble collection so that's why I asked if they still had the vast inventory of estate pipes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Thank you all for the update. I've been on an estate pipe kick. Scored a cased set of Lorenzo nib pipes from the 80's or 90's if I had to guess. I'd like to had more Italian Lorenzo and brebbia to my humble collection so that's why I asked if they still had the vast inventory of estate pipes.
It’s best to view them in person. I spent many a college afternoon pulling open drawers and browsing at their vast inventory. It was crazy seeing all those pipes.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
That would be a fun way to spend a day. I'm new to the hobby but that would be a magnificent sight to see lol.
There’s few “Tobacco Mecca’s” in the US. And Iwan Ries has got to be the top of the mountain.
I’d throw LJ Peretti in Boston just behind, as well as The Briar and the Burley in Bloomington, IN.
There are a few others, but those are my top three. They just ooze History, Tobacciana, and get people.
A few others a notch below, but wonderful visits.... The Gatlinburlier in Gatlinburg, TN; Strauss Tobacco in Kentucky (they’ve also a shop in Cincinnati), Uhle’s in Milwaukee, and there used to be a venerable shop in Los Angeles area called Kramer’s. (They served the Hollywood elite of the 40’s and 50’s)